Kenwood PS430 power supply extra wires?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA5NGP, Jan 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA5NGP

WA5NGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a new to me kenwood ps430 power supply. Looking at the power connector and the pdf manual I can identify 2 pins of +12 and 2 pins of -12. This is a 6 pin connector and their are 2 other wires smaller in diameter there. I don't think that this was a mod, however these pin locations are shown as empty in the pdf.

Does anyone know what these wires are for? Remote voltage sense? Ability to shutdown remotely? I could tear into it and debug bug if someone already knows it would help.

tks in advance
    Don
    wa5ngp

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I expect those two contacts are wired in parallel with the power switch on the supply. Some rigs are set up so that turning the rig itself on also turns on the connected power supply. With the power supply unplugged, put an ohm meter across those two pins and toggle the power switch on the supply. If it's what I'm thinking you should see the resistance toggle from short circuit to open circuit as you toggle the supply's power switch.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are no other wires on the Kenwood PS430 Power supply. If you have other wires on the power supply it has been modified. Use the power strip, or the black plug to power your radio.

ps430 power supply.jpg

4. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On the earlier model (PS-30) there was an extra pair of wires with AC line voltage on them. This was for remote switching, meaning that turning on the rig (TS-130 for example) turned on the power supply. I don’t recall the PS-430 having that feature, but it’s always possible that someone could have modified it. Easiest thing to do is open up the power supply and see where the two wires go.

5. WA5NGP

WA5NGP Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't look like a hack job so I suspect its something to do with using the switch in the rig to activate power in the power supply, perhaps activate a relay. Hopefully they aren't 110v ac. wires. Having AC line voltage inside the power cable always bothered me for a possible shock hazard. I remember my old sb101 had those wires in the cable. Of course there were plenty of other deadly voltages once you opened that case.

I will find out soon.
    The fan is starting to make a lot of noise so I'm going to have to take it apart to see if I can fix that. Hopefully it won't require replacement of the fan. I would assume that the fan is thermostatically controlled only running when it needs to. btw, the power supply does seem to be pretty stout putting out 14 even with heavy load.

6. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As WC5P says, in the PS-30 power supply there are 120 volt connections to pins 3 and 6 of the 'molex-like' connector to activate an internal relay bypassing the front panel switch for remote turn-on from the radio (TS-120, '130 and '180).

Since the PS-430 superceded the PS-30, I suppose it's possible that perhaps the very earliest production supplies may have had that provision, although I don't recall seeing it, having been in the Kenwood environment at that time.

The PS-430 schematic from the 1982 TS-430 service manual as well as the PS-430 instruction sheet show neither connections to pins 3 and 6 on the 'molex-like' connector, or an internal relay.

Use caution.

They are reliable power supplies, but have no overvoltage protection.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood PS-430 Power Supply
    https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ps430a.html
    The rear panel has a hard-wire Kenwood power cable (6-pin nylon HF connector) to connect directly to the TS-430S. There are also "plus" and "minus" screw terminal outputs (10 Amps max).

CAUTION: This Power Supply has NO Over Voltage (OVR) Protection.

Failure of Regulation or Pass Transistors result in +22 VDC sent to attached Radios.
    Add External OVR protection or for DIY Maker / Bench Tech Add OVR, like Mike Bryce, WB8VGE “The Protector”.

Kenwood TS-430 Schematic Diagram & Parts List
    Kenwood uses “AVR” (Automatic Voltage Reulation) for the Regulator PC Board.
    http://www.146970.com/PDFs/Kenwood - PS-430 Schematic and Parts List.pdf
    C0C9C9F8-3360-469B-A278-CEBA58A469DE.jpeg 3789C471-973E-44E6-B57C-D1B30936105E.jpeg

Kenwood TS-430 HF Transceiver
    INSTRUCTION MANUAL
    Page 25
    https://www.qsl.net/sp9hzx/img/manuals430.pdf

The PS-430 is a regulated DC power supply with high current capability. The output [6-pin Nylon connector] is 13.8VDC/20A (intermittent). Since terminals are also provided [screw terminal strip] , in addition to a power output cable for use with the TS-430, the PS-430 can also be used as the power source for another low power mobile transceiver, such as a 2-meter rig.
    ===

OEM PART SOURCE : LED Power Indicator, Front panel, Upper Left corner.
    Used on many Kenwood PS and KPS DC Power supplies, unique LED/Light pipe configuration.
    1DC1B2C0-D72E-4863-931F-E7B7CF272632.jpeg
    SANYO SLP144B-51 : 1.8mm Red Flat Mate
    https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=2952504&part-number=SLP-144B-51

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019