Kenwood mic or Heil

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WM5TS, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am considering a new mic for my TS 570D. I am looking at the Kenwood MC-90, the Heil PR 10 or that Heil ProSet 7. Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences? Looking for a clear sound makes the most of my 600W amp and the Ts 570D.

2. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Microphones are a big learning curve,
    All 3 of those mics are good but what one works best for your "voice" and how you set up your TX options in the radio.

How do you want your setup, LOUD like a DX station, smooth and mellow of a BC station or something in the middle?

The amp only amplifies what is put into it and doesn't change your sound (some will say that a tube amp will have a warmer sound than transistor/fet amps)
    The TS570 does have a "monitor" option to hear your self, use headphones so you don't get feedback.

Myself I use a Heil PR40 with my Kenwood setup, and a Proset elite 6 on the Yaesu. (also used on the Kenwood with good results).
    If you can get to a HRO they have a mic stand there to test different mics and find what may work for YOU.

Also if you can Borrow a mic and try it even better before the purchase of one.

GOOD LUCK

73's Bruce KF7TLL

WM5TS likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The PR40 is unique for ham radio in that it has a nearly dead-flat frequency response, so it can reproduce your voice exactly as it sounds without altering anything.

That can be good or bad, depending on your voice (and maybe also your transmitter).

For "DX punch," it's better to emphasize the higher frequencies and roll off the lows. For that "broadcast sound," it's better not to.

The PR40 doesn't emphasize anything, so if you need to "EQ" your voice for best results, you just have to do that.

The PR40 can also take enormous sound pressure without emphasizing the bass and without popping or distorting; it's really a "band" mike and often used to mike drums, so you can imagine what kind of sound pressure that is. I have two of them and like them a lot, they're slightly better than my much less-expensive Shure SM58's (which have been popular for 50 years now and are still available new). Radio Shack sold an SM58 knockoff for years that's just as good and was about $20 (!) but I think those are probably all gone now.

WM5TS likes this.
  4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on what you want to accomplish.
    Desk mic, headset with mic, boom mounted mic.
    Behringer XM8500 is a $20 mic and as good as you can get for Ham radio.
    Going more expensive offers no advantage.
    The Radio Shack mic is good, sounds nearly the same but found the cartridge is not shock mounted like the XM 8500.
    This mic with cartridge shock mounting plus the shock mounting in the boom holder makes it not respond to considerable shock on the boom..
    Getting into it a bit deeper, I have a third generation build undesirable sounds filter mounted in front of my mike to eliminate breath puffing, S and P sounds from some words and general air rushes..
    And there is more if you wanted to get in deeper.
    Select the mic you want that accomplishes the main goal then build from that point on, if you want..
    I get attacked often for saying this but you must sound good to yourself from your radio monitor on a pair of good headphones ....before.... you will sound good on the air. Be-where, the subjective opinions from others can be quite different but you set it up to suit you, not someone else.
    Good luck.

WM5TS likes this.
  5. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info on this mic. Can you use a Heil interface cable to connect it to a Kenwood TS 570D?

6. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

You are DETERMINED to have some Heil item in your shack, aren't you ?

7. WB2WIK

Is the Behringer XLR3 or XLR4?

I looked up the XM8500 (Made in China) and all it says for the connector is "XLR." That's really not enough information. But if you can find out if it's a 3 or a 4, Heil does have interconnection cables for the 8-pin round Kenwood mike input to XLR microphones.

8. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

The XM8500 is a 3 lead. Put whatever connector you want on end of cable to the radio..
    You will need a PTT in some manner connected to the radio to use it.
    These type mikes are not normally used hand held because they have no PTT switch. Some have on / off only connected to the mike element.
    I use a home brew switch box set up in a plastic project box.
    The PTT box is about the size of smaller computer mouse.
    There are 3 switches mounted to operate PTT.
    Two on top for either momentary or push on/push off as needed and one on the left side momentary thumb operation.
    The 4th switch, a miniature toggle operates the internal dot keyer for amplifier tune up in CW mode.
    It provides complete flexibility. None of the switches get in the way of the Palm of the hand due to placement.
    I would not have it any other way, using it nearly 10 years..
    Good luck.

9. WB2WIK

The "Heil" XLR cables have a breakout for a PTT switch (hand switch or foot switch) and they sell those as well, but of course any kind of switch can be used.

It's important to know if any mike is XLR3 or XLR4 (some professional mikes are XLR4) but as long as you have the right connector, you're all set.

Heil does sell these preassembled cables with the XLR on one end, the Kenwood plug on the other end, and a breakout for a PTT switch near the "rig" end so you can just plug in a footswitch or whatever. They use really good cable; it's very well shielded and very flexible, I think it's from Canare, who makes about the best mike cables anywhere.

But Guitar Center, Musician's Friend (same company), Sam Ash and lots of places have XLR cables and you can just install the Kenwood plug on your own and save $20.:p

WM5TS likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Can you call up or email Behringer and talk to Bob Heil?

No of course not. That's why I support Heil. Because they support me.

Behringer or other microphone companies doesn't understand or even care about ham radio.

WM5TS likes this.