Kenwood MCP-4A no response from transceiver

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KL4RB, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL4RB

KL4RB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a new MacBook Pro that I am trying to connect to my TH-D72. I am using VMware Fusion to run a virtual machine running Windows 10. Windows will see a thumb drive plugged in but whenever I try to read the Transceiver I get an error "No response from transceiver, ensure connection and com port status are correct." I have installed the latest virtual com driver (6.7.5) from Silicon Labs. Any suggestions?

2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The manual's troubleshooting chart (on page 50) for a TH-D72 suggests 3 actions for your error ("MCP-4A communications error" as I interpret your symptom). First guess is the HT's USB port wasn't activated (made live) when you turned ON the TH-D72. As suggestion 3 in the manual's list says, power the HT OFF, then ON again. If that doesn't reset the USB port, try suggestion 2 in the chart and close the VMware Fusion. Does the MacBook Pro now recognize the HT's USB port. I'm Mac ignorant, but this seems like a basic USB initialization issue to me.

3. KL4RB

KL4RB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your help. Another forum member was familiar with this. I had to go into the virtual machine to change the com port from usb 3 to usb 2 High solved the problem!

4. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news! Glad it worked out for you.