Kenwood 430s Repair help please

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by VK9PH, Jul 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VK9PH

VK9PH Ham Member QRZ Page

HI , I was given a 430s which has obviously had a really hard life. As a learning exercise, I would like to try and restore it as much as possible - but I need help.:)
    I only have a small power supply which normally will power receive on any radio When I switch the radio on, all I get is 3 lights on USB and 2 others see photo 1 If I do a processor reset, I get photo 2. I can then change frequency with the encoder see photo 3 if I try anything else apart from NB and some of the switches, it goes back to photo 1. I have changed the caps around the voltage regulators but that made no difference. Has anyone seen this before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How small is your power supply ?

Do you see any voltage drop at the radios DC input ?

3. VK9PH

Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    Its a small variable supply 0-30V @ 1amp(variable). There is a significant drop in DC input voltage from 13.8V to about 10V.
    Also, no sound from the speaker but the usual hiss if you plug headphones in.

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I call it witch hunting .
    Ignoring what is obvious , and chasing things created by the 1st issue - ignoring the obvious .
    Start with a proper power supply .
    Not familiar enough with that radio & its min. voltage , but most electronics act goofy with too of low power .
    Does the person that gave you the rig have any knowledge if it was ok when they had it ?

K7TRF likes this.
  5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I missing something here?
    The radio on RX will take 1.2 amp alone.... see specs, your pushing your luck with a 1 amp power supply I'd say, more important what about the ripple since it only being a small amperage? The ripple will sure play havoc with the digital side.

Before anything I'd be trying it on a 'real' power supply with a lot more beef, d'ya have a spare 12V car battery?

Dave

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. VK9PH

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
    No, I don't have any other PSU. Advice heeded, I will go and get something and advise when I have tried a more substantial PSU. 1.2A on RX wow!
    I have no information on the radio's history, the person who gave it to me was not a ham, it was just lying around in their garage.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you found the problem.

That radio will not work on 10 Volts.

Good Luck.

8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a fully charged car battery!

Dave

9. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

hi! It needs more than 1A peak during receive. You need to use a 10A supply to guarantee receive (maybe 5A is OK), but 25-30A for transmit.

10. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a TS430, your power supply is too weak and it will cause those exact errors to occur. only one mode light can be lit at one time you have AM FM and LSB lit at same time. That's the low voltage issue.
    When you get a real power supply preferably one that has at least 25 amps @ 13.8 volts then that problem will go away. You can then hook up a multimeter for DC power to the power jack and turn on the rig and see if it has a voltage drop at the connector . If it's 13.8 volts you're good. If it shows less than 13.8 double check your power supply before doing any other testing or transmitting.
    Your rig shows a lot of rust so might be helpful to double check all connectors for a good solid contact.
    Good luck it's a good rig when working right.
    If it's too much for you to work on try Midwest Technical Services. Tim Moes fixed my TS430 it came back like a brand new rig and I got a ton of countries on it .