ad: MLSons-1

KE6YNH Silent key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE6ENI, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE6ENI

KE6ENI Ham Member QRZ Page

It is with great sadness that I tell you, TOM C GLEEMAN KE6YNH an extra class of San Diego has become a Silent Key.

I was made aware this evening Thursday Feb 17, 2011 on air by KG6HKM, Kenneth Blakley AKA "The Llama Man" to many on 75 meter, that Tom had passed in his home, at the age of 60.

3.840 MHz has had many late night stewards, but when Tom came along in the past few years you would hear his station coast to coast with this well known sign on in the evening booming from San Diego California " CQ, CQ, 75 meters . . . this is KE6YNH, TOM in San Diego".

Tom would regularly QSO with K1NDF, NEAL LIPSON of FRAMINGHAM, MA. A couple of years ago I used to keep an informal "3840" log book of the countless operators that came by the frequency, I was going to start to list some of them but a better idea I think would be to leave a reply here on QRZ with your remembrance of Tom yourself. We will see that his family looks at QRZ.COM and reads your messages.

At this time I have no further information other than he is survived by his mother and a brother. Other family members is not known.

RIP. . . Tom you will be missed my friend.

Dave, KE6ENI

2. NV6R

NV6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom was a true ambassador to HAM radio. Tom was responsible for starting the post-Art Bell 3840 group here in the western states; however, it expanded to the whole country. Although, he was definitely responsible for doing so, he would not take credit for it. No matter how heated a discussion got Tom would always keep a level head, and never get angry. You could not have asked for a more even-tempered individual than Tom Gleeman, KE6YNH: he did not discriminate, scrutinize, and would talk to one and all.

Yes, Tom will be missed by the many people that checked into 3.840MHz nightly.

R.I.P, Tom; 73, my friend.

John, NV6R

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. K6ZOA

K6ZOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, KE6YNH and Kevin AD8Q were the first two hams that I QSO'd with when I finally got enough courage to say anything on 3.840 MHz. I had to gather that courage because I hadn't yet heard another YL on the frequency and I had been listening for almost a year. I took my share of teasing about running barefoot and my puny antenna, but they always made me feel like I was welcome, especially Tom who was willing to spend time just rag-chewing with the "new kid". I will surely miss his unflappable attitude; he was calm no matter how heated the discussion got even if his opinion was opposite of everyone else. And there were even a couple of time when he adamantly defended my right to be on the frequency against some "drive-by" visitors. May you always have perfect propagation, good friend.

Anna KG6ZOA

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. W0TKX

W0TKX Ham Member QRZ Page

:(

Was listening early this morning, heard the news right on 3840. What a loss, a great guy.
    Tom was a rag-chewing enthusiast, holding gentlemanly "court" in the strange realm of 3840.

He truly was an "Elite Ham".

5. WB5FAX

WB5FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

TOM will leave a place by the camp fire for you

Heard this morning the guys talking on 3,840 something about Tom. He was my first real contact after I got my general License and Tom, would have his smile and say this is tom KE6YNH In San Diego. Tom was a beacon to many hams with his loop antenna, he did not know it but he would be heard world wide on his station, till some old biddy started to complain about him tearing up COX CABLE and he had to go to court last year, they tried taking it out on him, but he prevailed. Then he wasn't on late nights maybe it was his back again, but TOM you have a place any time you swing by from Heaven to do your Godly Work

Mark N5UOA Houston

6. WB6BNQ

WB6BNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just learned that Tom, KE6YNH, has passed away. While some did not like his politics and liberal bent, he was a nice person that treated everyone with kindness and respect on the air.

73 Tom, rest in peace.

Bill....WB6BNQ

7. KI6QYX

KI6QYX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just awful about Tom dying.
    He was such a nice guy.
    He will be greatly missed.

8. KE6ENI

KE6ENI Ham Member QRZ Page

KE6YNH Silent Key Photo

Tom_Llama.jpg Here is a picture taken by Kenny KG6HKM at a county Fair in San Diego Last year of Tom KE6YNH with a Llama.

Be sure to leave a reply with your thoughts on your nights on the air with Tom on 3.840 MHz

Dave, KE6ENI

9. KJ7S

KJ7S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although I am a relatively new morning edition part of the 3840 group, I had a few occasions to chat with Tom and found him to be a good "debater" on any subjects he chose to dive into. And he always seemed to make room for the Newbie in the bunch...a "healthy" addition to any good "roundtable" was he. RIP Tom KJ7S Jim Eastern Utah/Mobile Mornings.

10. K7ZAR

K7ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I will miss Tom in San Diego.. I also miss Keven. Tom was fun to talk to and always had something interesting to say. The good die young. But he is in my memory and its a great one.
    Thank you Mr. Tom from K7ZAR.

11. KM6RF

KM6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

KE6YNH

Tom and myself had many local rag chews on six meters locally, he was a friend.
    I've attached a photo from one of the Earth Day festivities in Balboa park that we attended.

73 es RIP Tom
    from KM6RF

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.