KE5LLY account hacked and being used for fraud.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by NX1Q, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NX1Q

NX1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammer with accent in 209 area code California reposting threads asking for money orders to be sent to his 'daughter' in Maryland.

2. NX1Q

NX1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for bringing this to QRZ attention. The account was indeed hacked by a Nigerian scammer.

FOLKS: BEEF UP YOUR PASSWORDS. The hacking skills out there today can hack simple "plain English" passwords in a very short time. Use STRONG passwords - upper case, lower case, numbers, punctuation, and NO PLAIN ENGLISH WORDS.

The was a flurry of fraud activity this morning due to hacked accounts.

This is scary stuff - there is a VERY GOOD REASON that call sign photos in for sale items are scrutinized to the degree they are. THIS IS WHY. That is the only thing that proves a seller actually gas possession of the item. And in the case of this 7300, they took a photo with a piece of paper in it with someone else's call sign and Photoshopped that with the hacked call sign.

We're really going to watch the call sign thing going forward....

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4LGM, WB5THT and N0TZU like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Mods need to close that ad out and lock the account.

Oops, Dave is already on the case!

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

yes - the ad was removed and the account closed

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5THT and WR2E like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, can qrz put notice on the bio pages of hacked accounts? Only to be removed when the account is no longer compromised?

7. W7UUU

I checked with HQ but it's not something particularly easy to do and is prone to other concerns. So no, not at this time.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. W7UUU

I can say that there are some new rules going to come into place soon to help alleviate the problem with scam artists.... HQ is working on that.

But again, in the meantime, anyone reading this if you're still using a basic password and have not turned on "two step authentication" you are just asking to have your account hacked by a scammer.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. NX1Q

NX1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much Dave for being available on the weekend like this to verify what I was doing...and thinking last night...

Which is, it seemed to me that there has been an uptick in fraud lately.

As far as I'm concerned, I will always want to at least talk on the phone with bigger purchases. This is not asking too much at all. I have sold plenty of radios here on qrz.com, and I am more than happy to talk to any potential buyer. And it's fun most of the time anyway.

I buy lots of stuff too. Smaller items, say like meters and tnc's and so forth I don't bother with phone calls. Scammers are looking for bigger ticket one shot and move on items anyway.

W7UUU likes this.