ad: CQMM-1

KB7ZDR Mike Compton - Silent Key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7UUU, Mar 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

With sadness the Radio Club of Tacoma reports that long-time club member Mike Compton, KB7ZDR, passed away last month. This was announced on the weekly net this evening.

A memorial service will be held at one of Mike's favorite haunts, and a long time customer of his for audio and video repair services, the Lady Luck's "Cowgirl Up" Cowgirl Steakhouse and Saloon at 14114 Pacific Ave. South, Tacoma, WA 98444. The service begins at 1:00 PM on Sunday, March 26th, and all are welcome should you have known Mike down the years.

I will be there and will look forward to meeting any other local Radio Club of Tacoma members who choose to attend.

RIP Mike KB7ZDR

Respectfully,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    N7ANN likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Mike's service was held today - he simply wanted a party at one of his favorite haunts, "Lady Luck Cowgirl Up" steakhouse and bar in Spanaway, WA, and that's just what it was! Mike had a lot of friends, not just ham radio types but also fellow private pilots as well as fellow spelunkers. Quite a number of folks came up to take the microphone and tell stories about their experiences and antics of a good friend to all of them. It was quite clear that Mike will indeed be missed.

Thanks to my fellow Radio Club of Tacoma mates that came out to send Mike off.

RIP Mike KB7ZDR

Dave
    W7UUU

2-2017-03-26 16.56.11.jpg

3-2017-03-26 16.56.24.jpg

1-2017-03-26 13.37.15.jpg

N7ANN and AF6LJ like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Picture Dave! Got Bud in the middle of feeding his face! A good place to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. I could only wish Mike is up there and happy! I would also wish that there is this kind of turnout when I kick the bucket!

N7ANN, W5BIB, AF6LJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7UUU

It was good to spend time yakking today - nice to see you Gary

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and AF6LJ like this.
  5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Way cool, Dave. Thanks for sharing!

6. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First time I've seen an obit that said the deceased was "420 friendly" but then it is Washington state...

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That was nice, Dave. RIP Mike KB7ZDR
    I prefer to not paint with a wide brush.

8. KS4W

I'm not sure what 'broad brush' I'm painting with here.

1 - I truly have never seen an obit that mentioned "420 friendly" .

2 - I merely point out the co-incidence that the obit was in a somewhat Marijuana friendly state.

End of story. Put me on ignore if you like.

9. WA7PRC

I prefer to NOT do that, so that others may say things I might object to w/o challenge.

Again, RIP Mike KB7ZDR.

10. KS4W

I didn't know KB7ZDR but according to his obit I see someone who was an open minded individual who could appreciate other viewpoints.

I agree.

W7UUU likes this.
  11. WA7PRC

He wasn't presumptuous.

12. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.
    I still have not found an Obituary or Death Notice, or Funeral Home announcement online.

13. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lee, what is your point?

Mike passed away and his wishes were expressly not for a "normal" funeral. His friends got together at his favorite watering hole for a celebration of who he was to us and to them. Trust us, even without a whatever you wanted, he is still where he is and that is that.

So, if there is no online announcements, he did not pass? Trust us, if he was dodging the IRS, FBI, or CIA, we won't tell...

14. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Done Dave...