ad: ProAudio-1

KB6NU now offering "smart" flash cards for 2019-2023 General Class Exam

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB6NU, Jun 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

About a month ago, my friend, Rick, K8BMA, turned me on to a program called Anki. Anki is an app for developing and studying "smart" flash cards. These aren’t traditional flash card that simply grill you on the questions and answers. Instead, Anki uses a technique called active recall testing. Anki will ask you a question from the question pool and then wait for an answer. Research has shown that active recall testing is far more effective at building strong memories than passive study. There are two reasons for this:
    • The act of recalling something strengthens your memory, increasing the chances you will be able to remember it again.
    • If you are unable to answer a question, it tells you that you need to return to the material to review or relearn it.
    In addition to active recall testing, Anki uses a technique called spaced repetition. Every time you answer a question, you tell the program how easy or difficult you found the question. The program uses this feedback to decide the optimal time to show you the question again. Since a memory gets stronger each time you successfully recall it, the time between reviews gets longer and longer. When you’re just starting out, you may want to see certain questions more frequently in the future. As you learn the answers, you can tell Anki to ask those questions less frequently. This lets you concentrate on the questions that you’re difficult with.

And, if that wasn’t enough, each card contains an explanation taken directly from my No Nonsense General Class License Study Guide. This set includes a flash card for every question in the 2019 – 2023 question pool, and you can GET IT NOW for only $5.

[​IMG]

2. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KD5RKO

KD5RKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any plans on making the smart flash cards for extra? I'd be interested for sure.