ad: Retevis-1

KB5MRT Walter R. "Rick" Mullaney SK on March 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by VA7LTX, Mar 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA7LTX

VA7LTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone that joined the group on 7.155-7.157MHz in the evenings to get on the ZS3D (Danie in South Africa) calling list would know Rick Mullaney.

Rick was a True Gentleman on the airwaves; he made you feel welcomed and comfortable when getting on the list and when trying to make the contact with ZS3D. Rick was so supportive to me and everyone else that failed their 1st or many attempts of making the contact with ZS3D. Rick would always say "Don't worry about it, the conditions on 40 meters change everyday, come back tomorrow night and try again, I know you'll make it eventually". I tried 4 times before I finally made the contact with ZS3D. If it wasn't for Rick's wonderful personality on the air and his positive support I would of given up after the 1st failed contact.

The last time I talked to Rick he told me he finished a round of chemo and was feeling pretty good. For those that do not know Rick; He loved to fly his single engine plane (Go to his QRZ page for details). That is what he was doing this past Sunday evening; the plane was diverted due to bad weather and never made it to another landing strip.

My eyes water when I hear in my head Rick say ("..THIS IS KB5MRT GIVE SOME MORE FOR THE LIST")

I Will Miss You Rick 73 Buddy !
    Sincerely,
    Lawrence (VA7LTX)

K2HAT and K5WDW like this.
  2. K5WDW

K5WDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree; this tragic accident was a great loss for amateur radio. I talked with Rick many times over the past couple of years. We were best friends from the very first QSO. He will be missed.

K5WDW

VA7LTX likes this.
  3. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of working him on 40 meters a few times....A very nice guy and a great loss to the amateur radio community.

4. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick and I met on 7.156 5 years ago. I ran A yeasu ft-101 100 watts out. Failed to contact Danni first few times, it was Rick that kept me coming back to try again. Since then I've made 75 or more contacts with Danni. Rick made it fun to call DX, it wasn't just Danni. He would put out A general call to DX and surprised A lot of us.
    I was shocked and rely sad to hear he passed. It struck me harder than I thought it would. He recognized my voice instantly, always cheerful.

I WILL MISS HIS VOICE. KB5MRT(sk)

5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Walter R. Mullaney, KB5MRT SK

A memorial service for Walter Rick Mullaney will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at First Baptist Church in El Reno with Pastor Monty Priest of Newchurch in Oklahoma City officiating. Services are under the direction of Huber-Benson Funeral Home.

Mr. Mullaney was born Sept. 3, 1955, in Corpus Christi, Texas. He died March 25, 2018, near Hydro, Okla. Rick was an oil and gas landman, private pilot, ham radio operator, and managed the El Reno Regional Airport for 25 years. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and the N.R.A.

On Jan. 27, 1979, Rick married Sharon Ann Dean in Daingerfield, Texas. Sharon survives him.

Rick is also survived by his parents, Charles and Ann Mullaney of Salina, Texas; sons, Walter Charles Mullaney of Norman and Richard Jack Mullaney of Nashville, Tenn.; daughters, Jaclyn Ann Mullaney Sharp and husband, Aaron Sharp of Kingston and DeAnna Elizabeth Mullaney Weaver and husband, Alex Weaver of Yukon; grandchildren, Jack David Sharp and Boen Aaron Sharp; brother, Daniel Mullaney and wife, Michelle Mullaney of Plano, Texas; sister, Cindy Pendergrast and husband, Clay Pendergrast of Los Angeles, Calif.; half-brothers, Mark Rozolsky and Sterne Rozolsky; and nieces, Nicole Mullaney and Annie Pendergrast.

Rick’s biological father, Richard Rozolsky preceded him in death.
    http://www.elrenotribune.com/obituaries/article_ff7faa1c-345f-11e8-b07c-13caa19b3859.html

VA7LTX likes this.
  6. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of meeting Rick in person and on the air as well. God speed my friend..........we will meet again.............
    Jeff AC5O

8. VA7LTX

VA7LTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Evening Lee,

Just a quick note to thank You for the wonderful SK Bios you do on QRZ. Your segments take a person from being just a former “Callsign” to a life story of uniqueness and value. My wife and I are very touched by what You do!!

Thank You Lee and God Bless You,
    Best of 73
    Sincerely,
    Lawrence and Jeanette
    VA7LTX VA7JTX

K2HAT likes this.
  9. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NO WORDS

JERRY, N8YN