K9YQQ built transmitter

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by WA4JK, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:48 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA4JK

WA4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a K9YQQ built transmitter I’m selling. If someone is interested contact me on my email good here.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrong forum!

AA7BQ, the owner of QRZ.com, deleted your first thread in this forum for being in the wrong forum. You need to put it in the for sale forum. However, before you do that, please read all of the restrictions, etc., that are required for the post.

Otherwise, since you are "bucking" the owner of the site by reposting your for sale item in this thread, you are definitely treading on VERY thin ice!

Glen, K9STH

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, past and present threads have allowed AM parts and equipment to be sold in this forum because this is an AM only forum, so has there been a recent rule change?

Pheel

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

STH: Switch to decaf and go join an HOA police force. A bunch of folks have listed AM stuff here. Let Billy who started this thing run it. There are plenty of other places where you can be an OO.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

UJ:

It is NOT my decision, I have no problems with having for sale items in this forum.

Fred, AA7BQ, the OWNER of QRZ.com, deleted his first thread about selling this transmitter citing that the thread was in the wrong forum. The thread has been removed from public view. I don't know if there is anything remaining of the original thread that can be seen by everyone. As a moderator, I can see the threads that have been deleted in their entirety but I don't know if there is even a notation remaining with Fred's reason for deleting the thread.

If you can see the notation, on the earlier thread, it is the 4th listing below this thread (on my computer) and reads as follows:

For Sale K9YQQ built HB Am Transmitter
    This thread, started by WA4JK, has been deleted. Deleted by AA7BQ, Monday at 3:12 PM, Reason: sale item in wrong section

Now, you also need to refrain from making any comment on how anything is moderated on this site. Please read the Code of Conduct that is the very first item listed at the top of the forums section.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?pages/QRZ_Forums_Code_of_Conduct/

Specifically:

3. Unacceptable Behavior
    The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:

• Public discussion or debate of site moderation, the moderators themselves, or their actions. Such discussions must occur in private using email or PM.
    Violation of this IS considered a very serious offense and can result in various levels of admonishment including being banned from the site. You are supposed to have read the Code of Conduct and, by posting, here on QRZ.com, have agreed to abide by these regulations. I also am very aware that many, even a large majority, of those who participate on the site have either never even read the Code of Conduct or have just "skimmed over" the text and really do not have a full understanding of them.

Glen, K9STH

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Borgi has built a few screen modulated rigs including a pair of 4X150 tubes (my favorite screen modulated tubes) and now a grid modulated rig.

I stopped building when the basement filled up, Borgi just sells his homebrew rigs to needy people and keeps building...quality homebrew.

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Please calm down Glenn.

Let's let Billy and Fred work this out.

The reason for advertising AM parts and equipment here on this forum is the fact that AM'ers tend to be more technically inclined and know they are selling to like minded folks with the same interests.

BTW, I have read the Site rules and under 4.0 the Swapmeet Rules, the Swapmeet Listing and Safety Policies link seems to be non-accessible.

FWIW, I am an unpaid, volunteer moderator on a different scientific/technical site (nothing to do with AR) and have found that moderators have to have a thick skin while carrying out the rules and to not take things personally.

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:37 PM
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

STH: The problem is that the FS forums, all two or three of them, suck. If they were usable, I would be entirely in agreement. But they're two ham FS forums, one for "ham made gear" and the other for ham equipment for sale which to me means one forum for ham owned companies, and one single forum for everything else that is ham radio related. Those distinctions are not all that productive. There's an even broader category of general merch. which isn't helpful either. This means that to find a mod. transformer for example, you have to page through a million listings of plastic radios and other crap to find something. No one wants to do that. If I want an 833A or D104, AR88 or interstage audio iron, where do I look here? Therefore, folks list their AM related stuff here, where AM ops will actually see it. The viable alternatives are email lists, swap.qth.com where they have a category only for vintage radio, eHam perhaps (although I am unfamiliar with its classifieds), ER classifieds, and amfone.net. I.e. everything except this website, which is fine for topic discussions but not selling anything like the stuff Dennis lists for example. There's a search engine, but to use it you have to log in, which is a PITA and shouldn't be required. And your ability to find is as good as your search terms. What if I am looking for a broadcast rig. I can search bc, or broadcast but the listing might only have RCA BT1A or BC1G in it. So search is not a remedy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    AC0OB likes this.
  9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

We should all remember that we are guests here and the site owner can do anything he pleases.

It would be better if for sale posts were made by someone who is verified.

If an exception is made for AM folks then what's to stop other specialty areas from doing the same?

N2EY likes this.
  10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is that AM-related items are such a small niche in the amateur radio buyer/seller market, that any ad for such a thing as a converted or unconverted AM broadcast, homebrew or surplus transmitter, or components like a modulation transformer, oil capacitors or air variables would quickly become buried under the postings for plastic radios and accessories that make up the vast majority of buy/sell/trade items. I just now opened the Ham Gear for Sale section of the OnLine Swapmeet forum, and to-day's postings alone had already accumulated to fill 2½ pages. A listing for something like a modulation transformer or Globe King 400 would quickly be lost in the shuffle and turn into a needle in a haystack.

As far as Billy and Fred sorting this out, a couple of weeks ago Billy's listing in this forum for a broadcast transmitter was deleted and moved to the Swapmeet forum.

Something that might help would be an AM/Vintage-only section either in the Swapmeet forum or in this one, with rules similar to the limitations expressed in ER's classified ads. The deal breaker for me is having to jump through hoops to get on that "Verified" list in order to post to the Swapmeet forum. I can maybe see the need for extra precautions for general ham radio merchandise, since that seems to be a hotbed for scam artists, like for example that infamous ripoff artist from the UK who had moved and set up shop in Kentucky and chalked up hundreds of complaints. But I think most AM enthusiasts would spot a bogus offer for vintage AM-related parts or equipment right away.

The best way to avoid scammers before committing any money, regardless, is to exchange a couple of e-mails or private messages with the seller and ask a few questions. A bogus deal would quickly become apparent as an unknowledgeable scam artist tries to carry on a convincing conversation with someone familiar with AM or vintage hardware.

AC0OB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.