ad: CQMM-1

K6UDA Radio - Episode #4 A QRP Antenna Shootout

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Feb 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K6UDA Radio Episode #4 - QRP antenna Shootout. This time its on. I'm reviewing four ultra light portable antennas perfect for your next SOTA expedition, day at the beach or a trip halfway around the world. You don' want to miss this episode. This time, I'm evaluating magnetic loops from Alexloop and Alpha Antennas, The Ventenna vertical and Super Antenna's portable screwdriver 40 m to 10 m offering.

This is a no Bulls!&*t shootout. I bought all these so I'm not beholden to anyone. Let's get busy.

SM5PEY, KP4WK and AA9G like this.
  2. PY1AHD/SK2024

PY1AHD/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Robert.

I have seen in your video the way that you have engaged the coaxial loop to the AlexLoop

With your permission, I have just posted a Youtube video showing

the correct way to engage the coaxial loop to the AlexLoop antenna.

PY1AHD ALEX

Alexandre Grimberg

3. KP4WK

KP4WK Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you put a motor on the super antenna ?
    Nice video, very informative. like you said, it's a compromise. They all have pros and cons.
    The AlexLoop gets excellent reviews and very popular in the Portable/QRP community.
    Alpha also has a coax loop version that I saw at a recent Hamfest and was very impressed.
    The one on your video is the aluminum version, I think it handles more power.
    I agree that the Ventenna seems to have to many nuts, bolts and pieces. How did it perform ?
    An idea for a future video would be to do a side by side "On-Air" comparison of the antennas. Perhaps showing an SWR analyzer, hints and tips for tunning.
    Good job, keep it up.
    73s
    Norbert

4. AF7ON

AF7ON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A useful video. I also would have liked to have seen comparison reception reports between the different antennas. Portable loops are great when you don't have trees for wires and I'd like to see how they compare to portable verticals.

Mike

5. K6UDA

In the interest of time and keeping the show from being boring as hell, I had to do a bit of editing. Maybe I'll do a performance shootout sometime. Thanks for the feedback.

6. K6UDA

Maybe on another episode. Thanks for the feedback.