ad: k1jek

K6MB SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K6AER, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6AER

K6AER Ham Member QRZ Page

K6MB, John "Jay Hughes passed away Sunday afternoon, November 16 from a sudden stroke. Jay was very active on 20 and 40 meters SSB and was one of the regulars on 14.185 every morning. He lived in Lake Ellsinore, CA.

Jay was an avid DX,er and a friend to all and will be dearly missed on the bands. Cards and condolences can be sent to K6AER and will be forwarded to his sister Maureen.

2. W5LX

W5LX Ham Member QRZ Page

Jay will be missed. He wore his heart on his sleeve and was really one of the "good guys" in ham radio. I don't know anyone who enjoyed the hobby more than Jay.

3. VE7KGE

VE7KGE Ham Member QRZ Page

With sadness

I have met Jay a few times on 75 meters,and although I didnt know him well Jay made me feel at welcome ,Ill always remember him say when someone made a comment without giving his call...."oh its just another drive by" ...Im sure Jay will be monitoring all frequencies now 73 old man. K6MB sk

4. W0ZR

W0ZR Guest

Jay-Bird

I am shocked to learn of Jay's passing. We had many a QSO and it was always a pleasaure. I will miss hearing him on "185" with the gang in the mornings.

Tom,W0ZR

5. ZS5J

ZS5J Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the good guys....

I got the SMS earlier today, very sorry to hear the news. I visited him at his home several times on trips to California. The first time I showed up at his house, he didn't know me, yet he welcomed me and showed me around his town and home, and that was the start of a great friendship. He was one of the good guys, always happy and jovial, and a wonderful friend. He will be sorely missed, and the 20 meter band will be very empty without him. 73 John, ZS5J

6. W7UJ

W7UJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mighty Banana

I will miss Jay's cheerful voice in the mornings on 14.185 with Big Blue humming in the background. I had the pleasure of many many QSO's over the years with Jay. RIP my friend!

Ed W7UJ

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I too QSO'd with Jay, the "Mighty Banana" but on 75m. He was very much the gentleman and will be missed.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

8. N6WK

N6WK Guest

I also will miss Jay. I enjoyed chatting with him on 20 meters. He often was there with Seymour and the gang.
    You will be missed dearly Jay.

Gordon
    N6WK

9. DL6FBH

DL6FBH Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P. JAY-BIRD

What sad news, to hear about Jay´s passing away !
    I had the opportunity, to meet him in person once back in 1992 in L.A. .
    He was a very friendly and entertaining gentleman. Talked to him many times on 20m. Jay, we will all miss you and remember you. I personally remember two of his phrases: "If I can´t fix it, it´s broken!" "I wouldn´t say, that I am the best mechanic in the world, but the other one lives in Japan!"

We miss you ! R.I.P. my friend !

Benny, DL6FBH

10. WQ5P

WQ5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 14.185 programed in my radio. I have spent many mornings listening to the banter on that frequency. I have even learned a few things. Jay and I only talked directly a couple of times, but I will miss his humor and hearing him all over the U.S. while I travel the roads.

11. W8VI

W8VI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He sure will be missed

A few years ago I was operating mobile on a long drive from Florida to Ohio and getting a little frustrated while calling CQ with no takers. Jay responded on 14.180 and we had a great conversation for over 2 hours. Since then we talked many times and there was not a nicer, more friendly guy than Jay.

He treated us all like we were his extended family and was not afraid to share his issues and successes. When I was listening on 14.185 today I heard the news of Jay's passing and I just lost a good friend.

No matter who you were and your ham radio skill level Jay was happy to talk and loved this hobby that connects us all together.

73 Jay and thank you for the great times on the radio.

Gary, W8VI

12. KD3V

KD3V Guest

73's Jay, you were truly a good guy.

Sad news but thanks for letting us know. He was a regular with our bunch of guys on 20m and he always welcomed anyone joining in.

Good travels Jay!

Dave, KD3V

13. KM6MB

KM6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall a few hams getting Jay and I mixed up as we have very similar calls. Then a few years ago, when I was still living in California, I got the chance to chat with him. I shall have to go through my log books to find out when and where. RIP Jay.

John de KM6MB

14. K6ACJ

K6ACJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K6MB

I met Jay around 1957 in junior high school when making my very first CQs. His pirate 6AQ5 had a good signal from 2 blocks away, 599. Actually most of the kids in the neighborhood were on the air and were soon to get their novice licenses, that was our internet.

John was a great mechanic brewing up some pretty slick gear then later dropping a fuel injected 327 Corvette engine into his pretty 1957 Chevy. Of course credit has to go to his father (Mel, SK, cannot remember his call) who inspired all of us kids. Later, Jay helped the rest of us learn how to change the cluster gear in blown 4-speed transmissions. Lots of good memories over the years and yes, his big booming signal was one of the first US stations I heard via my Sony 7600 during early trips to work in Switzerland.

John had a lot of friends, its great to hear how much he was liked. If anyone knows where his sister lives, please contact me.

Bill Prats K6ACJ Huntington Beach, Ca

15. W4VKU

W4VKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Little did i know

About K6MB the mighty banana becoming a silent key. Life is such and
    it will be everyones turn some day.

I had a nice chat with Jay on Dec 31, 2006 shortly after i came back from
    VU7LD. They had a chat going on 14185 about the expedition and
    i barged right in. We were on the band for a good while. It was a pleasurable
    QSO. My wire antenna came down and stayed that way for a while. I kept wondering what had happened to Jay even about two weeks ago until i heard a big gun from the middle east talk to a West coast station about the publication of the sad news in the Feb 2010 issue of QST. Oh well. Jay joins a list of good hams i had the pleasure to QSO with
    over the years - K9iik, K9ijf, K6mb...

I am sure Jay is having a fun time Dxing the heavens.
    Krish
    w4vku
    vu2vku

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.