ad: vanity

K2 or Jupiter

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM6JMR, Sep 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KM6JMR

KM6JMR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone recommend one over the other, and if so, why?

2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally would want the jupiter. That was an excellent radio from Ten Tec. The down side is there is no longer company support and you may end up with a brick if problems pop up.

I would like a k2 if it was assembled by elecraft. I don't want someone's kit.

Performance wise, they are very close.....

3. KD8TFR

KD8TFR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I own a TT Jupiter. I recently, June 2017, sent the Jupiter to Ten Tec for service. I found the support to be good albeit expensive.

For me, the Jupiter is a very nice radio with many features. I like:

1. The bandwidth control, 150hz to 8kHz.
    2. Noise reduction that is amazing on SSB
    3. Pass Band shift that work as it should
    4. Variable power from 4W to 100+ depending on the band.
    5. Very easy to use control lay out.
    6. RIT and XIT
    7. Very easy to read display
    8. Does not need cooling fans
    9. SWL at 8kHz is very nice.

You can find YouTube videos on this radio which may help you make a choice. The K2 is portable the Jupiter is not so if you want to take a radio outside the Jupiter is not likely to be a good choice. Otherwise, take a close look at the Jupiter.

Good luck with your search,

Anthony

4. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The K2 is a low power radio unless you get the K2-100w option. As mentioned much more portable than the Jupiter.

The Jupiter will have more features and likely better sounding CW audio than the Elecraft. I haven't A/B compared them but the TenTec radios I've owned have better CW audio than Elecraft rigs and are more pleasant to operate for extended periods.

Used TenTec equipment keeps dropping in price whereas the K2 in particular seems to hold it's value unless abused so you'll likely be able to get your money back out of it when you sell compared to the Jupiter.

Both are fine radios, just different design decisions. Buy one of each and keep the one you prefer.

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had both...sold the Jupiter. Kept the K2. Loved the Jupiter and the K2...but the Jupiter was getting old and there is no support to speak of.

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good point. I had the 422b. An excellent amp but it is fairly complicated with the circuitry. I tried the longest to sell it and ended up getting rid of it in a swap deal.

They have really dropped in value and desirability.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Jupiter and it is a pretty nice rig although it isn't that cool looking as many others. it is not my primary rig. It is very easy to operate, just about no menus. All the controls are larger than most and spread out enough so they are easy to grab and use. Mine is the gray case and green display which is a little blah but it does perform quite well once you look past that. I do really like the variable bandwidth filter that is just a turn of the knob that you can easily adjust on the fly instead of having to go into a menu to change.
    I don't know about support for it but I doubt it really needs much anyway. I would guess that there is a yahoo user group for it that can help with most concerns and probably some good repair techs out there that can fix most problems with one if needed if the factory isn't interested.
    I think a lot of concerns come from the recent changes in ownership of TenTec and being somewhat uncertain or fearful about their future.

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

best thing I liked about the Jupiter....HUGE DISPLAY....did not need my glasses to operate...unlike my K2