ad: ARR

K1OIK - eham issue - set the record straight

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AI4U, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
  1. AI4U

AI4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Burt posted another thread about this issue on Dec. 29..I thought I would comment now since I missed the opportunity to post on the other thread before it was closed. I know it probably should be in the scam section, but this is where Burt got attacked so I thought I would post it here.
    I had put a want-ad out on another web site looking for a Kenwood ts870S. 6 hours after I posted the want-ad, I received an email from saying he had an 870 for sell:
    "Am selling my Kenwood TS870S in great and excellent working condition for sale. Am selling due to some project forces at hand let me know if you are still interested in buying.

...I felt a little funny about the email ( because I have read about so many scams ) , so I went to QRZ and looked up Burt's page. From there I sent an email ( to the one that was listed there - ) asking if he really was the sender of that email...this is the reply I received:

[FONT=&quot]"Yes the e-mail is from me. i have a mint ts 870 kenwood for sale,dsp,keyer with memory,auto tuner and many more features. need more info search web. only 40 or so hours of use on the rig. used only for receiving. a great contester rig .includes manual,power cord and hand mike.beautiful rig and one of kenwoods best ham transceiver. no longer in production, sold new for about 2300.00. asking 1000.00 firm and with free shipping to USA and Canada.any questions email me.i don't you can find a ts 870 in this kind of condition. what's your full shipping address.

But still, I felt a little funny about I researched a little more and found that Burt has an RV website which listed a completely different email I used this new email address to contact Burt once more to confirm this 870 was indeed for sell by him..The real Burt replied and said he did not have an 870 for sell at all...Thats when I confirmed the 3 emails I received from was a scammer..I dont know how the scammer had Burts email, all I know is it happened..I was unable to get the IP address from the email.
    So anyway, using Burts other email, I informed him about all the emails I had received posing as K1OIK with an 870 for sell..I promptly removed my want-ad and decided to use other more secure methods of obtaining an 870..
    Thanks and 73
    Jeff - ai4u
  2. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dead give away that was not Burt because we all know he would not ship to Canada. :)
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish there was some way to find out who these rotten RAT B******DS are, and JAIL THEM!!!! All too often, good hams are TAKEN BIG TIME by these vermin. I know of several hams who have lost lots of money to whom they THOUGHT were legitimate hams making honest deals. I put out a want for an item and received an email back from a KA2 Ham with his email at It didn't sound right as he was a new ham and obviously didn't have an expensive radio I was asking for.

Sure enough, another good ham had his callsign hijacked, and the RB was trying to scam me.

So, the answer is: TRUST NO ONE!!!!! If you do decide to go for a deal, take all the steps neccessary to find out if the Ham is really who he claims to be. He might be annoyed about you doubting his identity, but it seems that there are more BOGUS scammers than real Hams out there these days. Read what the "ham" says and see if it sounds right. If there is ANY DOUBT whatsoever, it is almost assuredly a SCAMMER!

I really worry about hams doing rig sales and exchanges on here, and hope they can make the deals with REAL PEOPLE and not these ROTTEN SCAMMERS!!!
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Jeff that was obviously written by someone for whom English is not their primary language. It is worded much like a typical Nigerian scam and I agree with MHZ that these guys should have their jewels lopped off for doing this sort of thing to people. I'm very happy that you had the good sense to check it out and didn't fall for this crap.
  5. AI4U

AI4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, thanks, thats why I felt funny about it...
  6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The BIGGEST way to tell it's a scam is when they ask you to send the money via Western Union (if you get that far).

Whenever I buy or sell, I will NOT use Western Union! Western Union is a money Diode. You have no recourse if you send money and get scammed!
  7. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Did any of the two of you send an abuse report to yahoo to report fraud (both the scam and posing as someone else through the use of a unique callsign)? It is unlikely the scammer will be caught, but it is possible the email address could be shut down.
  8. AI4U

AI4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not sent any fraud report, but thats a good idea...
  9. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully Burt has already done that!
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The "YMAIL" address would have made me suspicious. YAHOO! requires the entire YAHOO name to be typed out.
    You could have asked for a landline phone number to confirm a business deal and mailing address before committing any funds.
    Unfortunately, not all netmail providers are ready, willing, or able to sort out bogus e-mail addresses, and unless a word or title is copyrighted, there's not much that can be done about scams; especially if no money was exchanged..
  11. M0GVZ

M0GVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If Burts email address has been changed on his profile then I think those running the site have to take a look at the security of it. One thing that always worried me was the way ANYONE can add a callsign to the database and from there set up a profile. There are some unscrupulous amateurs out there - we're currently dealing with one on UK forums - and it wouldn't take them long to set up a whole slew of fakes.
  12. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

not true. ymail is another domain yahoo added. i think yahoo actually has a few more domains for mail
  13. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

Read this post from the locked thread:

I think that says it all.
  14. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any other way it could realistically work for most countries?

Would procedure do you think a ham in [name a country] should go through to add a profile?

So long as the login is based on just on a user name (callsign) and password then not much can be done if someone guesses the password.
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. Really. People need to use more sophisticated passwords than their Elmer's old callsign or the local repeater frequency. Especially if you're going to post threads or have QRZ bio pages with the information.
  16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In reading that I would have presumed it's not Burt after the first sentence. He's a (retired I think) school teacher and his spelling and grammar are better than how the e-mail was constructed.

I never buy anything via the web unless it's from a major retailer with a secure site, or if a private party, without speaking with them on the telephone first. No phone conversation, no transaction. Keeps it pretty simple.

For "photos" of equipment, I see a number of hams using to post photos use their QSL card or write their callsign and date on a card and include that in the photo along with the gear. That's not a perfect solution, but it's certainly helpful. If the seller cannot provide such a photo, no deal. It's also easy to tell when photos are just clipped from other on-line photos, and I'd never consider buying anything from anyone who sends a "stock" photo clipped from the web.

A lot of excellent hackers around the globe, including in 3rd-world countries. Remember a lot of the anti-virus and anti-spam software is developed in places like the Czech Republic, and really all over the place. These folks know how to fix it, and they also know how to break it.
  17. AI4U

AI4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I thought the same thing about the grammar and I had heard that Burt is a retired English teacher or something like I was pretty sure it was a scam to start but just wanted to make sure and check it out a bit further..and to let Burt know someone had hacked his email or something..I sent eham classifieds manager an email about the issue but no response. I know eham is aware of the rampant fraudulent activity but Im just amazed its as bad as it is..
  18. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

How does this happen? Are you saying someone could say they have something for sale and actually use my e-mail address to do the corresponding (how) this worries me that something like this could happen.
    I have posted want ads at times, but when it is out side of the USA or Canada I just don’t respond.
  19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As the rules increase, the RBs will adjust their MOs. Having pix means they will have to PHOTOSHOP in QSLs and Date/timestamps. There is NO guaranteed way to prevent a rotten RB from ripping you off unless you deal with him in PERSON. That is why I like Hamfests and swapmeets. I can look at the radio, hold it in my hands, and pay the seller in CASH on the spot. We both walk away quite happy.
  20. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat, you can do a search on an image; I do it all the time.

If I see a rig image that looks too "stock," I do a search on that and often find the same image in an ad, or on or somewhere else on the internet.

It's hard to tell a good photoshop job, though. We have some software at work that does a pretty good job of this; it decomposes the image pixel by pixel and looks for inconsistencies. But by eye, I can't tell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.