ad: M2Ant-1

K0S Strange Antenna Challenge

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0EW, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0EW

N0EW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Strange Antenna Challenge, k0s, takes place over the entire Memorial Day Weekend. _OUR_ antennas are NOT permitted to be constructed of wire or metal pipe. Past antennas have included such items as metal folding chairs, chicken wire, fences, trampolines, ladders, and trucks. We intend to remain in the general class portion of all bands used. In the past, we have spent the most time on 20- or 40-meters. NON-k0s stations may use any antenna they wish. Additional information and updates may be found at http://www.n0ew.org/k0s/

Those willing to observe a few simple rules of conduct and who are willing to send logs and images of their "Strange Antennas" to n0ew may run a k0s "satellite" station (see the web site for details). More people do so every year! Some do it for grins in their back yard, and others use this special event to spearhead a club membership drive. And for good reason. The K0S Strange Antenna Challenge offers a great public relations / media opportunity! To many people this is so "strange" we can't hold the event in April. Some people still don't believe it until they see a ladder-antenna talking across the states! Additionally field day is only a month away and this is a fun way to verify your equipment is working properly.

Are there any other reasons to us such strange antennas? We certainly think so!

Practiced skills include increased ability to match your transceiver to an extremely wide range of antennas via a transmatch (antenna tuner) or by physically adjusting the antenna itself. You will learn how to recognize which pieces of metal may form an emergency antenna. Following the ravages of a natural disaster, enabling HF communications without use of "normal" antennas is a potentially life-saving skill. As the oceans warm and greater magnitude storms are experienced, your "Strange Antenna" skills may be the difference between having no communications for a couple weeks, and becoming a vital communications link.

Not to be overlooked however is the simple pleasure of making a couple pieces of scrap metal perform as well as your neighbors dipole! And it certainly makes for great conversation at the next hamfest or club meeting! Many "old timers" have had similar experiences years ago using tube radios, but many others find this a novel experience and a lot of fun.

Radios with tube finals inherently match a much wider range of impedances than transistor-based rigs. Before transmitting with a non-tube XCVR we suggest you measure your swr. Then use an impedance matching device, or alternate method, to adjust the "Strange Antenna" impedance to something close to 50-Ohms (because that is what most late-model rigs are designed to transmit into). For those interested in learning more about transmatches and antennas --both normal and strange-- some have found the free PDF "Field Manual" on n0ew's web site useful.

Those desiring a K0S Special Event QSL Confirmation should email erik@n0ew.org for a PDF certificate, or send a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) to Erik Weaver, n0ew/k0s, 4857 E. Farm Road 136, Springfield, MO, 65809 (within 2-4 weeks of the event please). Postage to Canada is about $1 USD. If you contact a "satellite" k0s station ("callsign/k0s" as opposed to the 1x1 special event call) contact them directly for QSL instructions.

Hope to hear you on the air, Strange Antenna or not!
    73-Erik Weaver n0ew

Title: k0s Strange Antenna Challenge

Event Type: Special Event, K0S

Starting Date: 05/24/08 (Memorial Day Weekend, All Three Days)
    Ending Date: 05/26/08

URL: http://www.n0ew.org/k0s/

Email: erik@n0ew.org

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  2. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange antennas?

I used pvc pipes filled with saltwater with coax center conductor glued/waterproofed to a plug thats drilled through and braid grounded. I adjusted frequency from 20 meters down to 10 by draining water gradually. Had a respectable bandwidth due to 2 "o.d.Length of pipe was limited because of availabelity. Try it.:D

3. OD5RW

OD5RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any pictures of this antenna ?

John

4. N7AUS

N7AUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to see if I can find any photos of a strange antenna I used several years back - an 18ft diameter chlorinated above ground swimming pool. That thing was phenominal

5. KE5OFO

KE5OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

This sounds like fun.....I will have to find a tuner to play with. I just got a TS-520S and want to try out this strange antenna contest...

Kerry
    KE5OFO

6. KI6NNO

KI6NNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm... gears are a'turnin'...

Can we hang a capacitor on a power line, or does that violate the "no wires" clause??? :D

(Sorry, 'couldn't help it). This sounds like fun, actually.

73, Dave

7. KI6MWS

KI6MWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to 2nd the motion for pics:) I'm surrounded by saltwater!

Thank you

8. KC9FSH

KC9FSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I may actually participate in this.

It sounds like a very fun event to participate in. I will have to think of some odd ball thing to try and tune up for this.

Actually for a couple of months I used the gutters on my parents house as my HF antenna. It worked surprisingly well for just being gutters...

9. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I think I do in 1 of my Archive c.d`s. I will look for it and will send to you if you wish?

10. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Strange antenna.

Hello.

A semi-truck trailer works really well as a strage antenna.
    Use rubber wheel chocks under the landing gear, plug in a light cord, using the ground wire to radiate with the entire antenna, er, trailer, and you have it.
    The tractor itself has enough mass for the counterpoise, and the sheer size makes for a massive stovepipe.
    40 to 160 works very well in the clear.

11. kc4wms

kc4wms Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange antenna ?

I've been bragging up my LDG auto tuner, I think I'll see if it'll tune my cyclone fence out back for this event!
    If so I will catch you all on the air 73 and Good hamming!

de King Charles 4th Where's My Signal ?!?!??? ;o)

12. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange Antenna Challenge

I secretly suspected that loading up those big trees in the back yard with my antenna tuner might actually come in handy for something someday.

Bet you guys at Verizon with your fancy chocolate box phones can't do anything even remotely close to that!

73 de can you hear me now?

...Gud!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  13. N3CDX

N3CDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I secretly suspected that loading up those big trees in the back yard with my antenna tuner might actually come in handy for something someday.

Bet you guys at Verizon with your fancy chocolate box phones can't do anything even remotely close to that!

73 de can you hear me now?

i love that..good post...73

n3cdx
    http://home.neo.rr.com/n3cdx/

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles, besides the salt-water pipe, trees are it!! Try a gamma match base loading transformer ala a Cushcraft Ringo. I just may myself. Got lots of the suckers in the forest behind the house.

Now, which would be better right now: Conifers (pines, cedars, etc.) or deciduous (poplars, sweet-gum, or oak)? Probably the ones with the most sap in the wood. The sweet gums and pines have the tallest profiles with few large limbs.

Now, for the guys who live with antenna restrictions, if they don't have a tree, they could try loading a downspout. With a plastic joint inserted somewhere.

15. KC2PNF

KC2PNF Ham Member QRZ Page

KOS Strange Antenna Challenge

My first HF QSO was with a strange antenna station. From Western New York on my little screwdriver I worked KC4ZUA in Georgia on an aluminum ladder. There was a lot of QSB but we made the contact. What a rush. I'll hopefully be on the air with some scaffolding, a tinfoil dipole and whatever else we can clip leads to!

73 de KC2PNF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.