Just Worked France on 6.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New one for me, 100 watts and homebrew turnstile antenna.

20:16 z 06-13-2019

upload_2019-6-13_16-15-31.png

KA2CZU, KK4CCA, W1VT and 1 other person like this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and me without my 6 meter antenna up:(

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I can't get overly excited working 6M DX on the diddly-diddly digital modes. Digital mode usefulness on the microwave frequencies can be a real benefit to making contacts and should be used there - but on 6M, it seems like a lazy man's way to make a DX (or any) contact. Don't need much of an antenna or RF power, no need to talk or pound a key, no real need to think, no technical expertise really necessary, minimal propagation knowledge, have lots of time to watch grass grow - making DX contacts on SSB, CW, or even AM to me is much more of a challenge and a lot more rewarding.

Working the United Kingdom on 6M AM or Alaska on 6M SSB can bring life fulfilling excitement into your amateur life. 6M diddly-diddly just brings you a line on the screen. :p

KA2FIR, WQ4G, K5VZD and 2 others like this.
  4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " but on 6M, it seems like a lazy man's way to make a DX"

Did you see his reported SNR on the far end, using his 100 Watts and a turnstile (omni) antenna?

-16 dB SNR.

For the benefit of us all here, can you calculate what kind of power he would need for an SSB contact using a 10 dB gain Yagi?

ND6M likes this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the DX!

W4POT likes this.
  6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks.

For those who frown on the digital modes, time to grow up, get some technical knowledge and stop being an old curmudgeon.

DX, any mode is still DX.

KD8DEY, KC3RN, W4POT and 1 other person like this.
  7. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

DX is relative to the technology being used.
    With the error corrected, weak signal modes, you should be less eager to congratulate yourselves unless you are really stretching the technology, propagation and your equipment.

Frank

KA2FIR and WQ4G like this.
  8. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Bill, I don't "frown on the digital modes" ; I use digital modes on 2 meters and above where their advantages can be really utilized and in many cases, break some new ground and conquer some outstanding challenges ( see http://www.arrl.org/news/historic-2-meter-transatlantic-contact-reported ). Digital modes are also useful on very low frequencies where antenna dimensions are difficult to obtain, useful equipment needs to be built or modified, etc.

My point is that using some of these digital modes to especially work sporadic E band openings, especially on bands like 6 and 10 meters, is like bringing a sledge hammer to a croquet match. It obviously can get the job done but it lacks the challenge, it lacks the suspense and thrill of making a "long distance" contact, it lacks the vocal (whether phone or CW) human interaction. The reality is that you just sit there and watch the screen :) Of course, back in the "good old days" the counter to that was that we sat for hours tuning around and listening to static which I actually preferred since it gave me something to do.

My other fear is that digital modes will move amateurs further away from using a microphone on the HF/VHF bands. Over the last several years, I've found amateurs reluctant to engage in any real conversation or discussions when a first contact is made. The typical "your 5-9 in wherever, name is xx, rig is xx, 73 thanks for contact" seems to be far more common norm these days. Many amateurs today don't seem to know how to engage in an actual voice or CW discussion on the air which is sad:(

WQ4G and KA2FIR like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

At least one advantage of living in New Jersey... it puts you closer to the other side of the pond.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"DX IS"

That actually was my car license plate in NJ back in the early 80s. I'll bet somebody else has that now...