JT65-HF update

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by IZ4CZL, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. IZ4CZL

IZ4CZL Ham Member

Hi ZL2FAE,
    JT65-HF runs under Windows XP, Vista and 7.
    It runs also under Linus Wine but I have never tested.

73 de Alex, IZ4CZL

2. W4EG

W4EG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JT65-HF Operational with Flex-5000A

I was introduced to this mode last week and I installed it over the weekend. Now I am enjoying the new mode.

The software is easy to install and use.

I wrote a complete installation process for the Flex-5000A; step by step. If you like a copy, it will be posted in the KC at the Flex website. Or if you like I can email it to you.

Hope to hear and see you on JT65-HF

73, Ernest - W4EG

Flex-5000
    Windows7 Ultima 64bits

3. W4EG

Alex,

I have written a setup and installation for JT65-HF for the Flex-5000A/*3000 for use with Windows7 64 bits.

It will be published on the Flex SDR Website (I hope) or if anyone needs it, I can email it to them. This is a complete step by step, with which tab and setup they need to get the Flex operational with JT65.

Thank you for your work..

73, Ernest -W4EG w4eg(at)hotmail.com

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. VE3EGA

VE3EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely WIN2000 error!! Try XP

5. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

JT65 with Flex Radio

Since I already run digital modes on my Flex 5000A, it was very easy to install JT65 and had it working quickly. The only part I had trouble with was the Dimension 4 timing program which was 5 seconds off but soon discovered it was necessary to defeat the Windows clock. Seems like there is no end to amazing modes being developed in recent years and JT65 has opened up possibilties on HF to work lot's of good DX. Using only 3 watts, I was able to verify a contact with a station who otherwise would never be heard on CW. As soon as Flex Radio begins selling their new V/U transverter boards which install inside the 5000A, it will be possible to use JT65/JT65A with precise frequency control since it can be referenced by a 10 MHz standard.

6. W4EG

JT65-HF step by step installation on Flex-5000A/*3000
    1. __Install and have your Flex-5000A operating normally. If you need instructions how to install the radio, please follow the Flex website instructions. http://www.flex-radio.com/
    a.__Click “Start” and have your Flex-5000A running.
    B.__Set the following steps from PDSR→ Start→ Setup:
    1__Click on Setup AudioVAC
    2.__Set Virtual Audio Cable Setup as follows
    a.__ Driver: MME
    b.__ Input: Line 1 (VAC)
    c.__Output: Line 2 (VAC)
    d.__Check Enable VAC
    e__Check Enable for Digital mode etc…
    3.__Click on CAT Control and set:
    a.__CAT Control
    b.__Port Com_ _ Select a pair from VSPManager from 2.a - i.e. Com10.
    c__Check RTS and DTR
    d.__ID as: PowerSDR
    2. __ Download VSPManager at: http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?title=VSP_Manager
    a.__Install the software and set 5 or 6 Virtual Com/Port write down on a sheet of paper the IN and Out ports. (This comes in handy later.) Leave BLANK the Enable and Brake line.
    K5FR requires that you MUST be a ham to obtain VSPManager.
    3. __Download and (buy) Virtual Audio Cable - (VAC) software (Trial version will NOT work).
    a.__Install VAC . Check Flex Knowledge center at: http://kc.flexradio.com/search.aspx
    b__Type in” How to Setup VAC with PowerSDR” without the quotes and under Advance Search : Select “using: any keyword.
    c.__Follow those instructions. (You will not see the cables active until you get JT65-HF
    installed and working.) However, you should see the cable RCStream for cable 2 listed.
    4. __ Download - JT65-HF at: http://hflink.com/jt65a/
    5. __Install the software.
    6. __Click Station Setup.
    7. __Fill in your call and enter your Grid position i.e. DM04
    8. __Select one pair of com/port from item 2.a. above and enter it in PTT Port. i.e. COM7.
    9. ---On Sound input device:
    -- Sound Input Device: (Select from the drop down menu) Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
    -- Sound Output Device: (Select from the drop down menu) Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
    10. __Click Save Settings and Close Window.
    11. __Occasionally JT65-HF will not go into transmit. The solution is to go back into “Station Setup” and check the “Sound Input.” Make sure it still set to Line 1 (if not change it to Line1.) This is due to improper closure or shut down of PDSR.
    SEE YOU ON THE AIR… HAPPY JT65-HF
    *I think these instructions will be applicable to the Flex-3000 too.
    If you need any further help please email at: w4eg@hotmail.com

73, Ernest – W4EG - Flex-5000A -- Windows 7 64/bits

7. W4EG

JT65-HF step by step installation for the Flex-5000A/*3000

JT65-HF step by step installation for the Flex-5000A/*3000 [REVISED VERSION]

1. Download and (buy) Virtual Audio Cable - (VAC) software (Trial version will NOT work).
    a. Install VAC. Check Flex Knowledge center at: http://kc.flexradio.com/search.aspx
    b. Type in” How to Setup VAC with PowerSDR” without the quotes and under Advance
    Search: Select “using: any keyword.
    c. Follow those instructions. (You will not see the cables active until you get JT65-HF
    Installed and working.) However, you should see the cable RCStream for cable 2 listed.

2. Download VSPManager at: http://k5fr.com/ddutilwiki/index.php?title=VSP_Manager
    K5FR requires that you MUST be a ham to obtain VSPManager.
    Alternative applications for this purpose should also work (e.g., vCOM). Install the software and setup 5 or 6 Virtual Com/Port pairs. Make note of the IN-OUT pairs as they will be used below.
    I will be using pairs 7 (In) and 10 (out) in the example below.
    Leave BLANK the Enable and Brake line.

2. You must standardize your computer clock to ± 2 second of Universal Standard Time. If you are connected to the internet, search for a “world timer server” such as:
    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ - or - http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    Otherwise use WWV/WWVH to set your computer clock, or install Dimension4.
    See the JT65-hf manual for other suggestions.
    If you have a computer that is several years old and you have not replaced the CMOS
    battery; this will be a good reason to do it. Your computer clock will keep better time

3. Start PowerSDR
    a. Open PDSR
    b. Click “Start” so that the Flex-5000A running.
    c. Click Setup AudioVAC

4. Set Virtual Audio Cable as follows:
    a. Driver: MME
    b. Input: Line 2 (VAC)
    c. Output: Line 1 (VAC)
    d. Check Auto Enable for Digital mode etc…

The audio Flow Chart for the VAC connection will be:
    1 Out―――――――→ In 2
    [PDSR] ______________ [JT65-HF]
    2 In――――――― Out 1

5. Click on CAT Control and set:
    a. Enable CAT Control
    b. Port Com #_ _ Select a pair from VSPManager from 2.a - i.e. Com 5.
    Baud 57000, Parity N, Data 8, Stop 1
    c. Enable PTT
    d. Port: Com#__Select a pair from VSPManager from 2.a- i.e. Com 10
    e. Check RTS and DTR
    f. ID as: PowerSDR

6. Download - JT65-HF at: http://hflink.com/jt65a/
    a. Install the software. I recommend reading the manual
    b. Open the software

c. Click “Station Setup”.

• Fill in your Callsign and enter your Grid position i.e. DM04
    • Fill in Sound Input and Output Devices set these as follows:
    o Sound Input Device: (Select from the drop down menu) Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
    o Sound Output Device: (Select from the drop down menu) Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
    • Select one com/port pair from step 2 above and enter it in PTT Port, i.e. COM7. The other side of this pair was entered as PTT port 10 in step 5.

If you push the “Test PTT” bar you should see and hear the transmitter key.

d. Click on “RB/PSK/Rig” Control”

• [Optional] enter your call for PSK Reporter
    • Rig Control Reported QRG leave blank. That will change when you change it in the operating page “Dial QRG kHz”
    • Check “Spot receptions via RB Network.
    • Check Spot Receptions via PSK Reporter.
    • The optional Antenna and OmniRig Settings are NOT available yet.

e. Click on “Macros”

• I wrote a few message definitions that I use to give you an idea.
    • Remember you are limited to 13 Characters.

f. Click on “Diagnostics”

This is my setup diagnostic of what you will see. Yours maybe different.

Click “Save Settings and Close Window”

You are done. See you on the air operating JT65-HF

Notes:
    1. Occasionally JT65-HF will not go into transmit. The solution is to go back into “Station Setup” and check the “Sound Input.” Make sure they are set to the correct settings. If not change it, as set on page 5. This is due to improper shut down of PDSR. Once PDSR is shut down correctly this will not happen. The correct shut down sequence is: JT65-HF close—>PDSR off—>PDSR software close—>Radio Power off.
    2. In order to get the radio PTT to key your com/port they must be able to handshake. For example my PTT control is on com/port 10------JT65 must be set PTT to com/port 7.
    3. Transmit power varies when you are transmitting the JT65 tones. In the SCOPE position, you can check if the modulation is okay. If it is too high in the envelope, adjust your Mic Gain up or down to increase/decrease it.
    4. On JT65 “Audio Input Level” select either channel 1 or 2. Keep level as close to 0db plus or minus 1. Adjust this with the “AGC-T” (on Flex) and on JT65 “Digital Audio Gain” adjustment. When JT65 audio is properly set, it should be reading from -1 to 2db. Occasionally it may change to a higher or lower than the set levels. If the receive audio bars are changing from negative to positive and the display value are red, then changes to black and you are decoding the QSO. That is normal.
    5. Set your Flex radio “Filter” to 1.8k.
    6. Make sure that the “Mode” is on DIGU.

QSO orders:
    a. First, your computer clock time must be within several seconds of WWV etc...Otherwise no one
    will be able to decode your message.
    b. wait until the clock hits either the odd or even minute and at 02 to 04 seconds of the hour
    you will hear and see the shift tones.
    c. click on "Call CQ" the red "TX Generated" should show "CQ W4EG DM04” That will go on for
    approx 47 seconds and stop.
    d. If someone answers your CQ, it will begin at the top of the odd or even minute from your
    transmit. The left screen will turn RED and you will see your call and the station calling you.
    e. Double click on the RED signal, the station calling you will appear with yours and then you will
    noticed that it will also show a signal report i.e. R -8 etc. That will be log on the Rpt (_#) file.
    f. The "TX OFF" red label will be "Enable TX".... after the contact has been established you do
    not have to enter call etc... You go to the next button and click “Answer Caller" He will send
    you a report etc... You then click "RRR" The other station will properly say 73 ... you in return
    click on "Send 73" That is a good QSO.
    g. If you see someone calling CQ (that will be GREEN color). Double click on the station calling
    and follow the answering CQ sequence.

Send me and email to w4eg(at)hotmail(dot)com - PM me or leave message here on QRZ.com

ORIGINAL MESSAGE, INCLUDES THE ACTUAL PAGE PHOTOS WITH THE SETUP INSTRUCTIONS.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. N1GKE

N1GKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JT65-HF & HRD

I am using JT65-HF v1.0.6 with Ham Radio Deluxe v5.0 Beta build 2636.

In the station setup for JT65-HF, RB/PSK / Rig Control, Ham Radio Deluxe Settings, I checked the box and use first instance of HRD.

There is no need to start a second instance of HRD and it works perfectly.

I can use HRD in all modes as well as the Logbook features and Satellite Tracking and DM780 with no troubles at all.

My best receive so far has been a -25db signal on 20 meters.
    I just wish more folks were using the other bands as well.

From FN41fr in the NE US area I can often hear / see stations in various
    digital modes in my night time.

Many 73 and good holidays to all.

de Myrton - N1GKE

9. HK3WGQ

HK3WGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

JT65-HF Transmission problems

My comment:
    1 - A great group of friends
    2 - JT65-hf user, excellent reception, wonderful, I have no problems with reception
    3 -. When transmitting, call cq, answer caller, send RRR, my radio takes to transmit about 40 seconds. Recently I'm working with JT65-hf,
    I can be making an error of operation.
    4 - discard the performance of my computer, I tried to WSJT9,
    Everything is perfect, immediate transmission, and adequate reception.
    With several qso `s in my log.
    5 - I insist with JT65-hf, I like the wonderful reception,-25db with no problems.

Thanks again for being part of this wonderful world of radio, thanks to the team of JT65-hf.

Also, my English is very bad. sorry, hi

Mario, hk3wgq

10. W4EG

Myrton,

The other bands are hopping with lots of activities.
    I am using a screwdriver antenna hidden inside a tree and only have 4 radials (my condo rain gutters.) And I have worked into Europe, Asia, South Africa and off course North and South America. I am running approximately 30 watts with a Flex-5000A radio.
    Check 7.076 and 10.139 in the early evening and all day on 14.076.
    Take care and I will be looking for you on JT65-HF.
    Ernest - W4EG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.