ad: CQMM-1

JT Modes & the Elecraft KX3, a how-to guide!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Jul 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A quick how to guide on getting setup with your Elecraft KX series radio and WSJT-X to take advantage of the super efficient JT modes developed by K1JT.

Using a simple inexpensive USB sound card dongle as your interface, you can be up and running in no time!

Stay tuned for more videos on the Elecraft KX3 from SignalSearch & K5ACL.net!

KH6OWL, VE7JBT, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice informative video, thanks.

W5KV likes this.
  3. KB5RF

KB5RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Johnny. Thank you for posting this. I wonder if I can do the same with my kx2. I have the same little USB audio interface you show there. I'll have to check this out and see. I have not worked WSJT-X as yet. I will though, in time. Very simple to follow instructions. Appreciate you taking the time to create these videos.

W5KV likes this.
  4. KQ3K

KQ3K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KQ3K

KQ3K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An inexpensive usb dangle will work on the KX2 just fine. I use one purchased during the Radio Shack liquidation with no problems encountered.

W5KV likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for us dummies...:)

At the risk of sounding REALLY dumb, can you be more specific about the dongle sound card? I am using Windows 10 with a Surface, for example. Lotsa lotsa choices on amazon--makes it a bit confusing for an old brain...

K3SX likes this.
  7. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. W3YJ

W3YJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video! Thanks! I do a lot of JT65 and other soundcard modes using Fldigi with my KX3 and you've done a fine job.

However...I think you'd be better off using the KX3's Data A mode instead of Upper Sideband. According to the KX3 manual, when you select Data A, compression and RX/TX equalization are disabled. This is documented on Page 18 of the latest KX3 manual.

What is the software you're running that shows JT65 contacts on the globe?

WU8Y and NH6O like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK4OVW

KK4OVW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You Johnny. Great Video. I love the JT65 Mode. Thank You for your Military service.

W5KV likes this.
  11. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is MacLoggerDX from DogPark Software. I don't think it is showing just JT65 contacts. Rather, it is showing the DX cluster reports.

12. W3YJ

W3YJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks! I do use a Mac at times and I have a copy of MacLoggerDX so I will have to take a look at that.

13. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video, I have downloaded the WSJT package and will be playing about with it soon. I already have WSPR and Winmor, which work well from my 8 inch Windows tablet. One thing that might be of interest to KX3 owners is the LP-Pan website:

http://www.telepostinc.com/soundcards.html

In the table of sound-cards, towards the bottom, is this usb soundcard:
    https://www.amazon.com/External-Adapter-Optical-Windows-SD-AUD20101/dp/B006SF68P2

The advantage of the SYBA card is that it has stereo line in, whilst most other mini usb cards are only mono line in. That works fine for digi-modes, but if you have stereo line in you can also use the RX I/Q output on the KX3 for a pan-adapter or SDR radio program like HDSDR. As the table shows, it gives a very useful 92KHz of bandwidth. One thing to be aware of, is that very small low-spec tablets will not have sufficient usb resources to run at the full 24 bits; I find 16 bits works fine. The price is also very reasonable for both pan-adapter and digi-mode capabilities. Beware of sound-cards that look like the SYBA in every way but do not have stereo line in. No new information here, obviously, just re-sharing for those new to the exciting world of the KX3 ; )

73 de OE6FEG / M0FEU
    Matt

14. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

'it gives a very useful 92KHz of bandwidth'
    Sorry, I meant 96KHz.

15. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have KX2 I tried to use with JT - yes it's working in similar way but radio is really getting hot even at 5W. A cooling solution would be welcome although finals are directly attached to the right side so not that easy like in KX3 when you put radiator on the top.
    So not using it often for that purpose. To get DX you need really efficient antenna and on clear/high - for SOTA like should be pretty perfect with a dipole for 20m.
    73, Thomas