ad: Alphaant-1

JT-65-HF Procedural questions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4CIW, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB4CIW

WB4CIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I just got started with this program over the Memorial Day weekend.
    Everything is working fine, except for the "loose nut behind the wheel."

I probably left a few guys scratching their heads and muttering about
    someone new to the mode. Is there anyone who is running this mode
    that can assist me with some newbe questions? Ie: how to carry on
    a "correctly successful" exchange of information?

Thanks,
    Frank,
    wb4ciw@aol.com

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Search there are several web sites and groups just for JT65HF users. I'm just getting my setup for QRP using a wire antenna lined out. Everything is low power using JT65HF usually not over about 30-40w tops and that may be way to much as it messes up the waterfall for others.

4. W0SGM

W0SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

99% of the time,I run 10w or less and I have way over a 1000 contacts just in the last couple months of sporadic operating;all on a non-resonate vert,and a low(about 15ft 40m loop). JT65 doesn't take much power or antenna,it's meant to be a low power mode that decodes signals down in the noise,-20 to -25db. But it's like any other mode, there are those that think they need to run 50w or more when all that does is ruin it for everyone else;those that are so "fuzzy"/overdriven that decodes just don't happen.You'll know the one's when you get up and running...there is more than one that are like that all the time.

5. WO4G

WO4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank, looks like you are well on your way... We were all new to the mode at one time...
    One the is the timing, your computer clock needs to be accurate... if you dont already have one, here is the pgm I use
    http://w3wvg.com/31264.html
    there is a south Africa station on 10m abt 16:00 utc on most band openings, 10 watts will work him.
    good dx
    Joe

6. WA5VQM

WA5VQM Guest

I just started playing with this mode over the last weekend. Got to admit it's pretty amazing. With 10W and a vertical I worked VK3AMA at 10PM local on 10 meters. Maybe I'm easily amused but I was impressed. Have fun!

73, Mark

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

There will always be. That's why there's narrow filters on transceivers. :)

8. KE4BCF

KE4BCF Ham Member QRZ Page

QST had a great article on JT65...Just a few months ago....I am sure the search would bring the article....I also think CQ has one as well.
    Its been a great source of contacts for me with just 15 watts.

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Tis a fun mode... been all I've been doing lately digital wise.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

As advised, download the JT65 HF guide as a PDF, it explains the procedure how to answer CQ calls and how to initiate calls. Also the advice about being low power, 30 to 40 watts ! That isn't low power, you only reqire anything between 5 -15 watts. If you use too much power your transmission may not be decoded then you'll be wondering why you don't have any contacts !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.