ad: TinyPaddle-1

JS8CALL Maturing and Ton of DX

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

You said it, I did not.:D

From the JS8Call page:
    "Please Read Before Downloading

JS8Call is pre-release software, that means it is still in development and subject to change as we find and fix any bugs and include new functionality.

Currently each version released is time-limited to 10 days. Once the time limit is reached the software will not work and you will have to come back and download the latest version. It is for this reason that we advise you to sign up for groups.io and follow our twitter account, you will hear FT8Call news and be notified of new versions first.

Please read the documentation, if you don’t you might miss out on some of the great features of JS8Call.

NOTE Until we get the website completed the only place to download FT8Call is from the groups.io page using this link https://groups.io/g/js8call/wiki/Download-Links "

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, I never get 20wpm. When I'm sending it says 10-12wpm, very slow. Slower than slow. From what I'm reading, it depends on the characters sent. For example, the letter E and space send very fast but other characters slow it down.

3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct, about the 20wpm, it depends, but still in all, I usually obtain a minimum of 13wpm when using JS8CALL and sometimes I get up to 18 to 20 wpm. The bottom line, when I want to work DX today, and I don't care the mode (Even CW), I find it more feasible with JS8CALL to work DX, FT8 is great but no QSO, I rather have a QSO (Chat), even at 13WPM. (That used to be the passing speed for General Class , how about that, how soon we forget!)

Now if you desire higher speed, Olivia 500/8 and works at 30wpm, however, try finding DX there and further only able to decode at -13 SNR and occupies 500 hz (While JS8CALL only 50 hz) I promoted Olivia as well, I like it, but simply not much DX

And I am willing to bet, the digital modes will continue to evolve, as the computing power continues, and the SDR continue to grow, which will ultimately keep drivng the higher speed in WPM, and lowering the level to decode signals. There is room in this vertical industry to advance,

Hence FT8 and now JS8CALL

Cheers

C U On the bands, NN2X

4. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jordan indicated this mode (JS8CALL) will be free, but moreover, the reason for the pilot phase was to obtain feedback from the Ham community and grow organically. Each couple of weeks, Jordan would take in the comments from the Ham community and add or enhance the program and release an update. This is a great game plan to get it right. There were many changes, for example the frequencies setting, layout, speed of the WPM, just to name a few. Meanwhile the Hams community to support the JS8CALL grew from a few hundred to 7,575. (Nov 23, 2018)

Simply join the group, and try it out, otherwise, you will have to wait until final release. Be part of the experiment, I have t say , today the DX is embracing JS8CALL, especially Europe. I work DX every day on JS8CALL

C U on the bands

Happy Thanksgiving!

NN2X, Tom

N0NEV likes this.
  5. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working 40m js8call. Lots of fun. And just worked 30m.

I was in a cw qso on 30 and ft8 was mentioned. So I invited Bill to join me in trying 30m js8 (since we were already on 30.)

It worked ot great and held the qso down to 10w.

6. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am holding off on logging with LOTW and EQSL for JS8CALL until it is finalized. I was logging it as USB or DATA but LOTW deleted DATA from the selection. I just wish they would finalize JS8CALL. Then there is this option of "Updates". Instead of having to reinstall the mode and program it can be updated like any other program. Trying to make it the best before it is finalized will never let it be finalized. Publish it already! The idea of "What else can we do to make it better?" has to stop at some point. It is kind of irritating when you go out, off grid, and find that your version is out of date. As you are offline and off grid you can't download the new version so you have to set your clock back to Pre-Deadline. Publish it! Release it!

KA2K likes this.
  7. G6NHY

G6NHY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with LoTW making JS8 to data and other logbook using JS8,
    uploading LoTW to my logbook which as JS8, LOTW duplacats the QSO with DATA mode.
    NOT good. So I think till LoTW sort it self out I will wait till then before I upload again.
    Regards Keith G6NHY

8. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

What is JS8 ?

9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Short for JS8CALL.

10. KC8EQF

What is JS8CALL ?

11. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer: a conversational digital mode that is a spinoff of FT8. There is some additional information, as well as banter, here on QRZ.com in the Forums section.

From the JS8Call Groups.io web page, "JS8Call is a derivative of the WSJT-X application, restructured and redesigned for keyboard-to-keyboard message passing. It is not supported by nor endorsed by the WSJT-X development group."

12. KC8EQF

ok, cool beans.