ad: M2Ant-1

JS8CALL (FT8CALL on Steroids) 20wpm - 24 db / Jordan KN4CRD does it again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how the logic works here. Isn't this like saying, if you don't want to lend somebody your house key, you are not a good candidate for testing a new drug? One does not logically follow the other in any relationship that I can fathom.

You might, for example, be a Computer Scientist with extensive security experience and know that every time your Email address goes on ANY list it adds to the probability that said address will eventually be compromised to someone you don't want to have it.

The author certainly has the right to decide how to distribute his software. That seems simple enough. Likewise the person who wishes to not be tracked on the web has the right to take steps to prevent that.

2. W4MHZ

Well, that's likely true, unless of course they are someone who understands how to secure a network, rather than trusting their OS vendor to secure it's OS (which is a moot point these days because the OS vendor is tracking you more than any mere hacker out there). For that matter, if you are worried about bot nets you had better not become a fan of the IOT. Firmware is NEVER updated by the users and if your device updates it's own firmware a man in the middle can install anything he wants to your shinny new Internet ready thermostat. Technology, contrary to the common belief, is not your friend.

3. W4MHZ

So having read the whole thread. I like the things Jordan is doing with signals research and implementation. They are a nice technical advance. The principal advantage to most of his technology is that GPS clock. It would be very difficult to accomplish the same thing without the clock. So if the clock ever goes away the modes become unreliable (eventually). That isn't likely to happen so forward march! Enjoy yourselves. I've tried it. It puts me in mind of that little chat AP that Yahoo used to have (may still have) or perhaps SMS text messages. It takes precisely zero expertise to use the technology. If you have enough dollars you can buy your entire rig and be on the air this afternoon talking world wide below the noise floor. If that is what floats your boat, more power to you. It is pretty cool to be able to do that; however, you can do it even more reliably with TeamSpeak or any number of other Internet Chat applications. I will say though the new capabilities Jordan is building into the tech are great ideas and the community seems to be working well in a feed back loop. So drive on! lads, drive on!

Here is my challenge to you, learn Morse, there is a whole world of old HAMs out here who have been all over the map as to radio communications operations for decades and we still do CW because it really is fun. There is something magical about just sticking the cans on your ears, grabbing your key and a QRP CW radio and doing all the processing between your ears. Some of us will sit with you while you take your baby steps no matter how horrid the code you send and no matter how much we have to slow down to get that message sent. Every day, I spend a few minutes looking for someone struggling with CW near the QRP calling frequencies, specifically so that I can answer his/her CQ and offer a little encouragement and training. You will NEVER regret learning Morse, even if you only use it once in a while.

G3SEA likes this.
  4. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, I had the latest version of FS8. I saw it run from 8-14 WPM on various transmissions. Never 20WPM.

5. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Today at 1450 EDST

Modes over last 2 hours
    Mode Count
    FT8 962538
    CW 4326
    JS8 1632
    PSK31 844
    JT65 353
    RTTY 320
    PSK63 277
    SIM31 115
    OPERA 46
    ROS 45
    OLIVIA 45
    JT9 31
    MFSK16 31
    PSK 30
    PI4 18
    SSB 14
    MSK144 9
    FSK441 4
    OLIVIA-8 3
    PSK32 2

6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice balanced statements and a suggestion :cool:

Trying something new in this case could also be CW :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

K4SUE likes this.
  7. W4CKA

W4CKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, luckily Jordan thought about this too (the GPS clock), and has a feature built in that allows you to sync your clock to ANY station you hear. Out in the field with no GPS or internet? No problem.

8. W4MHZ

Yeah, that presumes there will always be GPS sats up there, doesn't it? Admittedly his technology isn't so sophisticated that you can't get it to sync by just arbitrarily setting a time based upon another station you can hear. It will always work *and* it will always be slower and more limited than your average CW operator. We will always need technologies which make communications simpler, easier and more reliable. Jordan's modes do that handily. "There is room for everyone at the table", Grandma used to say. Then she would say, "Now sit down, say your prayers, and eat".

9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About timing, I just down load some software, keeps all in sync, called Dimensions 4. I might be all wet on this one, but I think there is a ton of sync (Clocks), that one can obtain.

I passed my Extra in 1980, which means I passed the 20 WPM, however, these merging digital modes will eventually pass the CW, (If it hadn't already). The JS8CALL, works now at -24dB below the noise floor, and works between 13 through 20wpm, while only occupying 50 hz,

What I like about the digital modes it keeps evolving, I am willing to bet by next year, there will be more advancements, The digital modes engine is based on computer power advances, new methods to super impose digital information on a carrier, new forward correction techniques, it is inevitable this efficiencies will by pass CW (Has already, with JS8CALL)

I like to work DX, and right now the digital modes can provide this goal. Now with JS8CALL, I can have a modest QSO (at 13 - 20 wpm), which surpasses the efficiencies of CW.

NN2X, C U bands..Tom

10. W4MHZ

Good points. I did some reading on JS8CALL, looks pretty good. Progress is progress. Soon enough the guys doing this development will set up a synchronization process which happens between the participants in the conversation and the clock requirement will go away.

I once wrote a distributed system which required all the participants to remain in sync time wise. GPS was a very expensive device in those days and so I established an arbitrary "master" which happened to be the first one on the channel. First system booted would just "become" the clock and send pulses every minute. All the other stations would monitor that "master" and sync with his pulse. Now what was interesting on that system was that it was a data driven problem. Data could get our of time order (events could get out of order) and the clock pulse was used as a reference to sort them upon arrival at each station. The data had to remain in correct time sequence but timing was not critical to the actual signaling (layer one/two) communications. This problem is different in that you have to sync before you can pass data. Modems do that all the time. There is no reason that the new FT<umtifratz> system can't sync stations at the beginning of a QSO just like modems do now.

Anyway great stuff going on in the DIGI world these days.

11. W4CKA

Actually no... Even without a GPS in the sky, it will work.

Even if you transmit without any regard to a clock... the tool allows you to sync your receive to another station.

12. W4CKA

Hey Tom - calling you atm on JS8 - have you looked into BktTimeSync? Does NTP, GPS fallback, and works very well.

13. W4MHZ

You apparently did not actually read my post... The part where I said, "Admittedly his technology isn't so sophisticated that you can't get it to sync by just arbitrarily setting a time based upon another station you can hear. It will always work..." ???

14. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jason, I worked u a few times! Well, I have not looked at any other clocks if you will, I just used the one called Dimension 4.1, for me, I have no clue if it is the best, but easy, free, and seems to work..

Jason, c u on the bands!

15. KB5TJI

KB5TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried it out for the first time today (Saturday 4/6). I'm usually on BPSK31 so this is definitely different but I had a blast. I really like the interface and the ability to communicate below the noise floor.

73 de KB5TJI