JS8Call for Emergency Communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Sep 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

oh ya? really..then why did he tell me that the flash drive he was suppose to send me the price is $10.00??????????Then after many tag e mails he said I could download it...Well I tried many times and it does not work! he never offered to help me.I asked him and sent him a certified return letter to get another flash drive and he wouldn't claim the the " green card ". So what the hell am I suppose to do? he has my check for $10..00 and won't return it,he will not send my flash drive,he will not offer any help. The guy is a scammer! He supposedly sent everything back to me in big white USPS ENVELOPE and nothing ever came through. He will not return phone calls, answer any emails, I've had other people call him and email him and all those go unanswered. I'm telling you the guy is a crook! If I could get a workable flash drive,program that works on my lenovo 100s,mac book air, that would be fine. But the guy refuses to co-operate. First last fall he told me that the program is down loadable. I tryed, didn't work.so he offered to send me last October a flash drive for my mac. Then after 2 months, he said " I'm coming out with a better program in January, can you wait till then? " I said sure.So january,febuary comes and no drive. So then he says " the next program,really this one is the cats meow will be released in May.And then June came now the trouble starts, claims he sent it and I never got it. So you see, there something wrong with this guy. if he didn't want to have the program in the first place ,then why didn't he say so in the first place????????

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you've been scammed, just not by who you think.

KF7VUT likes this.
  3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

So cancel the check at your bank. Problem solved.

KF7VUT and KC9YGN like this.
  4. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no doubt that you are being scammed, but the guy scamming you is NOT the author of JS8Call.

You have JS8Call confused with something else....that's all I'm trying to say.

5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever system/mode works in a specific situation just use it !:cool:

G3SEA/KH6

6. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

It will most likely cost more to cancel the check then taking the loss from whomever you sent it too.

7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Lot of insanity on this thread. JS8 is very good and has some great features. I suggest anyone who is still rational to give it a try.
    Never mind the negative nancys and the hopelessly programed. I have found the emcom /Ares types just like the militia guys in the 90s.
    A private in the military and now a self appointed general who cannot be questioned. Let them play Authority.
    JS8 is a for the people software. In a real emergency having a network will be imperative. We can all do it absent of the Authority lovers.
    They cannot be trusted anyways just like the government and NGOs they serve.

KK4HPY likes this.
  8. K6ETA

K6ETA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! I wholeheartedly concur. That's why the RACES op area I mentioned above has a dedicated net every Thursday at 2000 hours where we systematically test the capabilities of the various software and use them to do check-ins, store-and-forward messages and pass WX and Fire report traffic.

IF a certain mode shows itself to have the potential to fill an Emcomm need, THEN we move forward to testing it at public service events (bicycle events, etc.). If it proves to be useful in the field, we then look into integrating into our official training and deployment procedures.

JS8Call has risen to the level where we are using it every week for RACES check-ins in local rugged terrain with 8-10 of our HF-capable volunteers. It has been very successful at linking stations that would be otherwise completely out of commas if the local repeaters went down on top of cell and Internet.

But I agree very much with the comment above that an actual emergency is not the time to begin experimenting. The equipment, skills and procedures need to be vetted in advance. Training is everything.

Steve K6ETA

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So when was the last time any emergency services in CONUS actually relied on large scale amateur communications to save the day because their el cheapo part 90 stuff bit the dust and they were just too stupid to fix it?????????

Stay out of the way.

10. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8Call is and will always be open-source and free software (free as in beer and free as in speech, do with it what you like, for the sum of exactly $0).

It is available for download on the web at no cost here: http://files.js8call.com/latest.html
    The source code available here under the GPL license: https://bitbucket.org/widefido/js8call/

I (the author) am not running a business and am not selling anything. Under no circumstances should you attempt to buy anything related to JS8Call from anybody.

W8APP, KK4HPY, W4RAV and 5 others like this.