ad: dxeng

Job Cancelled before I started

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by NC5P, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
  1. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I finished packing my truck when the phone rang. They canceled my job. The project was scrapped by the customer so they don't need me now. I have the worst luck of anyone I have ever known. At least I hadn't drove to Atlanta. If I had I would be talking to a lawyer.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Awwwwww, man--my heart really goes out to you, dood--that just royally, positively, unequivocally SUCKS!

I guess even with an Intent to Hire letter that wouldn't help you recoup any $$$. :(

If it's any consolation, there is somebody who has worse luck than you: my twin. I won't go into details here, but the gods really have it in for him and lives a life of nothing but bad luck. (He's out of work looking for a job and because of his lack of marketable skills, I don't think he'll nab one anytime soon; it took him five years to find a job last time...and it wasn't his fault why he's unemployed now.) In fact, his luck in finding a job has been so bad that I secured a domain for him: I'll get it up and running soon.
  3. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of skills do you have? Electronics? Computer? What?
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That does royally suck. But it sounds like they made a job offer before they had a solid contract, which is risky as hell. Why would "they" (whoever they are) do that?

Better to work for a large company who always has work and doesn't rely on a single customer.

Just returned from a visit to Apple. They're hiring like crazy, and it's not dependant on any customer. I never saw so many job opening posts in one place since about 2001.

At least some companies seem to be doing well...
  5. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Peace to you my brother.
  6. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

you couldnt of payed me enough to get me to go to craplanta
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Too bad but if it's any consolation, the latest DOL U6 report indicates total unemployment at 14.5% and rising (as opposed to the numbers often quoted in the media which are only those still eligible for unemployment compensation. That's 1 in 6 people (approx) which is what it was in 1939 AFTER the depression was supposed to be over. You are not alone!
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not alone, but I don't believe any of the stats.

The unemployment rate in CA is allegedly very high, but I don't personally know anyone who wants to work and doesn't have a job. The film and television industry here is always hiring as people leave to go off on their own for fame and fortune or whatever they think they can find, so openings come up every hour.

I have four kids who are employed just fine, and three are still in college. I'm employed, my XYL is employed, all my neighbors are employed.

Seems to me the unemployment rates, high as they may be, reflect a fair number of "unemployables" for various reasons.

I've been working since age 14, and I'm 60 now, so that's 46 years of continuous employment.

Yes, I've moved to go where the jobs are, for sure.:eek:
  9. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm supposed to go to New Orleans for an interview next week. I wonder how far that will go? Now I know an offer letter overnighted to my home doesn't really mean anything now.
  10. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It really sucks having your hopes raised & then suddenly getting them dashed. Good luck with your job search.

State by state numbers as of last month. Check out Nevada, wow. Here.

Tom KC├śW
  11. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Crap, sorry to hear about that man. Prayers.
  12. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Ouch. Why is RI sandwiched between CA and NV?

Connecticut is sort of "moving in place". There are still a lot of retail vacancies and less than optimal retail use. I don't see why CT should be 7.7% and RI be 11.1%, given that the New England economy is fairly homogenous.

73, Jordan
  13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will say a prayer for you.

That is epic suckyness.
  14. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  15. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of reviews/referrals are you getting from your previous employers?
  16. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

More importantly (if you have one), what kinds of things have you been posting on your facebook page? I recently came across an article which described a new industry: companies which specialize in creating data bases on individuals by mining and archiving their facebook accounts. Many employers are turning to these companies in lieu of traditional background checks. Employers say being able to see a potential employee's old facebook postings gives far more detailed (and truthful) information about a potential hire than traditional background checks and references.

As I understand it, there have already been a few court challenges to such data mining. The courts so far have ruled that there are no invasion of privacy issues, as the postings on facebook (and here, and any internet forum) were made with the knowlege that they would be seen and read by other users, giving the poster no reasonable expectation to privacy.

Tom, KA1MDA
  17. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Good post, Tom. All the more reason to be careful what you post here and elsewhere on the Web; constantly haranguing and railing against the government (or other entity) will mark you as a major league complainer, one of the last things an employer wants.
  18. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

Look toward Nebraska. Their unemployment rate for March was 4.0% and decreasing.

South Dakota was 4.3%.
  19. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear this.

At least you didn't lay out a lot of $$ for moving expenses before getting the sour news.
  20. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always thought that way too, but a large company with multiple contracts, doesn't shield you from anything. My first large company (1969) was Burroughs Corporation, Electronic Components Division, Plainfield, New Jersey (Nixie Tubes). After 5 years I got tired of the limited advancement available and moved west. But where is Burroughs now? Had I stayed, I would have been out of a job anyway.

In Arizona I got a job at a Motorola plant in Tempe. This was their wafer processing division. But it turned out they had a interesting approach to contracts and labor. As their contracts came and went, so did their workers. You could start as a janitor and work your way up to low level manager. But then when a contract ends and layoff are required, you start detting demoted back down the ranks. You could be back pushing a broom before you get laid off. But many of the production employees depended on it working this way. They work feverishly for 6 months and then get laid off. They go on unemployment for a while, and then get called back for the next contract. It was their idea of a paid vacation.

I didn't work for Motorola for very long and found work at Goodyear Aerospace. During my 35 years there, we were bought out twice, and ended up as Lockheed Martin. But during that time there was a 90% layoff, mostly due to the loss of a single contract. We went from 2,500 workers to 250. I managed to survive that layoff, and a few more, but it does show that a large company doesn't really provide any insurance.

Now I am retired and can see that it was all just a lot of luck. When it counted, I had just the right skill set, and was working on a active program. It was very stressful watching your collegues dissapear, and the offices next to yours get empty.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.