JBL CONTROL 2P -- MODEL C2PS - Killer speakers! What GREAT AUDIO! Especially with DSP

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WD5JOY, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Killer speakers! For my old ears - absolutely the best I have ever used! Great 80 Hz to 20 KHz response and 35 watts per channel with no more than 0.1% distortion! These are REAL "near field" speakers! Not the least expensive at $209.00 for a pair or $159.00 for only the "Master" - but no more expensive than some of the "Digital Speakers" with so-so filters installed. THESE WORK - or at least they WORK for my ancient ears. I would be shocked if folks found them to be less than superb for amateur radio! AMAZON.COM has 'em ..... some"new" and some in "Like New" shape and at greatly reduced prices. Maybe old guys get excited over small things, but to THIS old guy - the excitement is REAL and GENUINE!

Info at JBL PROFESSIONAL http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=242&MId=5 and in this old guys opinion - well worth a look!

Senile Old Man Don .... WD5JOY

[​IMG]

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO, $200 is expensive.

In the 1980s and early 1990s, Radio Shack sold RCA bookshelf speakers (metal enclosure)
    for $29 or $39, depending on size.
    These speakers were outstanding for communications usage, AND largely RFI resistant.

IF you see these (Colors came in white, black, and a rare silver/gray) in Craigslist, local garage sales, or estate sales -- they are an automatic BUY (for reasonable $).

w9gb

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ugh! For communications use full-range speakers are hard on the ears because they easily reproduce the high frequency hash that can be so tiring.

4. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Then ya have not heard these speakers. Combined with the new era rigs and their equalization or an external mixer and equalizer like I have used for decades --- they are great (again IMHO).

Price wise? No worse than the specialized speakers offered to the ham community; I'm not ultra flush, but the bucks were WELL WORTH it to me.

And ............... as they say ............ to each his/her own, huh? Yup!

Old Senile Don .... WD5JOY

5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be able to get the same audio quality from a $50 out board computer audio system if you take care to select the better system.
    For Ham radio use, there are two areas of concern.
    1. The average radio in SSB will not pass more or less above 3000 hz or below about 150 hz.
    2. Unless your in with a group that has modified radios with wide filters and EQ out to at least 4000 hz, the use of more expensive audio amplifier or speakers is a waist.
    I will agree that using these audio systems does improve the audio a noticable amount if the radio has decent bandwidth.
    In AM the receive bandwidth can be nearly 5000 hz and would benifit from a good audio amplifier and speaker system.
    As to noise, I use noise blanking most of the time and seldom use the wideband audio system unless it's for a special occasion.
    I'm sure your speakers sound good but not at that cost.
    One other thing I get a kick out of is the AM guys commenting about slop bucket operation they hear.
    They seem to forget their receivers are wide banded so will hear SSB close by that a SSB mode would not have much of a problem with.
    When I go AM receive, I hear them also but I have a narrow filter to switch in and DSP to use and their gone out of the bandpass in my radio.
    Bottom line is what you expect and when to expect it using these addons.
    Good luck.

6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes -- they are KILLER speakers!

I use these exclusively for ham radio, and for modest stereo use (I own two complete sets), with an older, matching, in-line and passive JBL sub-woofer.

In my ham and shortwave setup, I direct line-level audio from various rigs to a Bogen 20W PA, which in-turn drives one of these singularly spectacular speakers. By-passing the poor final audio amps found in most solid-state rigs (especially Icom rigs) is the right thing to do.

These speakers and a decent outboard audio amp are sure easy on the ears!

73!

7. NL7W

Point taken...

But, older (vintage) JBL Control 1 speakers can be had for similar cost on eBay (same darned speaker they sell today). I've found mine there, besides my original new pair purchase in the early 90's.

These speakers are WONDERFUL.

Hearing is believing.

8. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought two sets of these speakers on eBay for about half price...these are in my U-shaped shack along with a set of Bose PC speakers, a $19 pair of HP multimedia speakers (bought for portable PC presentations), and a tiny set of HP USB-power speakers on my PC. I have the tiny USB-powered ones on my desktop PC and they work great. I got the JBL's due to recommendations from Bob Heil in a Skype-based presentation to the Magnolia ARC in Starkville. They do work great but they're usually putting out DSP filtered SSB using a BHI DSP inline box. I'm happy with them thus far.

Frank
    K4FMH

9. NL7W

Everyone knows Bob Heil... if he recommends them (and I recommend them), they've gotta be good! ;) :cool:

10. NL7W

Alan,

That is what adjustable high-cut filtering is for (at the audio and or IF stages)... removing highs and hiss to taste. Much of "hiss" you speak of has been removed, on my Icom rigs for example, through BYPASSING the final audio amp section of their rig(s). This picked line-level audio feeds a quality Bogen Classic 20-Watt PA, which in turn drives a JBL Control I speaker. It's an awesome combination that makes listening to an Icom R75 receiver sonically pleasing. I can listen to it for hours and hours now, with no fatigue whatsoever. I could NEVER do that before with its internal audio amp. It was noisy and tiring...

Though with large signal-to-noise ratio circuits, I enjoy hearing both the highs and lows. In fact, after so many years working around USAF aerodromes, my high frequency hearing can use a boost at times. Accentuated highs, at times, improve my ability to copy SSB.

I want a speaker that can faithfully reproduce audio above and below the constrained 3 KHz audio spectrum presented by most, but not all rigs.

Hearing is believing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.