ad: SteppIR-1

Japanese Girls Swing Band

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K7RQ, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's OK. I'll take Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing/Christopher Columbus" over this one, though. This was "nice...accurate...precise..." but the only thing approaching the soul of the original was the tenor sax lick at just after the three-minute mark.

Hey, it's a movie, not a concert, so it's acceptable.

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It being a staged scene for a movie, can any of you musicians out there tell if the girls are actually playing their instruments or is it all dubbed?

4. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not dubbed, and they're really good!

Not to mention incredibly cute.

6. WB5HQH

WB5HQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Watched the whole movie. One of the best I've seen lately.
    Definitely readable er watchable.:D

7. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

These guys aren't japanese, but they dress the part when they perform:
    http://www.daikaiju.org/
    No, it ain't swing, it's Surf Rock, baby!

...ok, so technically it's surf rock with sci-fi song titles. Nevertheless, it's one of those nearly lost forms of music, much like swing. Hope you enjoy it!

8. KI6DCB

Some dubbed, some as filmed, but all actually played by the ones shown. Making a movie scene like that is really grueling, and I'd bet that dozens of takes were involved. I should probably watch the movie; I used to be a trumpet player (Of some note, I might add!), and I would like to know what the mouse thing was all about and how she kept it stuck to the bell while playing. Putting tape or glue on a brass instrument, except in the most dire of emergencies (Don't ask...) is anathema.

9. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

One must realize that the Japanese girls were all high school age girls. I dunno if you could get a group of American high school kids to do any better. One of my sons was a trumpet player in an all district musical retreat for high school musicians in New York State. The concerts that they gave were good but not exactly as good as professionals.

Those girls played a final concert when t hey graduated high school. I dunno how many became professional musicians. See also the humorous videos (some with English subtitles) that can be linked to from the video that started this thread. The personalities and sense of humor and acting of some of the individual girls are refreshing and attractive by any standards.

Japan is an interesting nation that had completely accepted American culture. No other nation has copied our baseball and music ....and still retained their own as well. Japan still has all male Kabuki, all girl odori, all geisha samesan playing, sumo wrestling and other stuff that is all Japanese.

Remember too that the JARL not only copied the ARRL...They made world class ham radios.

When Tokyo Rose broadcasted propaganda to American GIs during WW2, she played the swing era records of the big bands, as well as all the American pop music of the '40s. In my opinion she influenced Japanese musicians and Japanese makers of musical instruments more than the GIs. During the occupation of Japan the Japanese were well prepared to entertain the GIs with not only their own music but with night clubs dedicated to swing, Dixieland, Latin, and country music. They manufacture every type of instrument in Japan...both electronic and accustical...harmonicas, keyboards, guitars, brass, pianos, percussions, strings, reeds...You name it. I doubt if any other single nation can do that. When on tour to China, visiting musicians could not even find a usable piano! I kid you not.

w2ilp (Imported Large Pianos?) Ein Steinway?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. K1DNR

K1DNR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For high school age kids, amazing.

As a great musical performance, I'm sorry. Its awful. It is stiff, and doesn't swing.

Wanna see a Japanese cutie who knows how to actually swing?
    [video=youtube;02b4u0Sg5KM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02b4u0Sg5KM[/video]

[video=youtube;UxqH-rOstcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxqH-rOstcg[/video]

11. K1DNR

Here's Hiromi Uehara

[video=youtube;6JfKY0K_NQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JfKY0K_NQk[/video]

12. K1DNR

Juniko Onishi. That's the last post :D (there are some pretty amazing Japanese jazz musician, and quite a few of them are women...)

[video=youtube;LcHH3foYnrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHH3foYnrs[/video]

13. K1DNR

Check these high schoolers out if you like Big Band... Ellington competition winners, Roosevelt H.S. from Seattle... Check out the band director at the end. I wish I had a band director that cool when I was in school...

[video=youtube;geD2ZOEcB_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geD2ZOEcB_Y[/video]

14. KI6DCB

Yeah, that's a bit harsh, but it's what I was trying to say. I might not have said, "awful," but it is, indeed, soulless. Most Japanese "jazz" -- no matter the genre of the jazz -- when compared with "the real thing", is not unlike the difference between a Lexus and a Ferrari. The Lexus is a nice car -- the performance is certainly at least on par with anything else in the same class and the value for the money is great, but it just doesn't grab your heart the way a Ferrari does.

There's nothing wrong with the Lexus; it is a most excellent (accurate, precise) machine that is quite unlikely to leave you calling for help along a roadside somewhere...but it has no soul. The Ferrari, while subject to much cursing and other oath taking, is hard to resist. I once saw a 348ts stopped alongside a two-lane road, so I stopped to see if I could help. The driver had already called for help and was just waiting. There was a bumper sticker on the back that said, "BUT, OH! WHEN IT RUNS..."

Listen to Maynard Ferguson; lots of his stuff was/is really pretty poor from a technical standpoint, but, OH! When it's right...

R.I.P., Maynard.

15. K1DNR

The Japanese have been huge fans and supporters of jazz. I haven't been to any of the famous NYC jazz venues in many years, but when I did used to go, the audience was usually about half Japanese and European tourists. American jazz musicians who have little or no recognition here, are icons over there and so it goes.

I was always pretty fascinated by this. But the Japanese have been an incredible resource to this music all the way from fans to record producers and promoters.

There was series on HBO about post Katrina New Orleans and the musicians called Treme. One of the characters was a Japanese patron of the music who purchases one of the musicians a new instrument and can name all the historical figures of the music, the roles they played, etc, etc... This character while fictional is not much of a stretch from the truth.

As for soulless music, there's an awful lot of soulless music period! I like all kinds of music. Although I do have a degree and many years invested in a formal music education I love all kinds of music.

I was watching the Country Music Awards the other night. I thought most of it was soulless, over hyped, and just bad. I will say the same thing for almost any of these music awards programs. Then again there are some pretty fantastic artists out there as well. (which makes the mystery of who gets hyped by the media companies and who doesn't get hyped even more of an enigma to me).

I've heard many really good Japanese artists. I think there is a cultural aspect they aren't part of and often miss - but this could also be said of many current jazz performers who continue to try and recreate performances and recordings that were "spontaneous and improvised" 50 years ago. When you try to recreate something that way, that is far out of context with time and place, something is lost. Its hard to recreate a "moment". And that's just what a lot of young jazz musicians try to do...

My favorite jazz musicians today are people like Don Byron or Bill Frisell who drink from many wells, including folk, blues, rock, jazz, pop... you name it. Much the way the great jazz musicians of 50 to 100 years ago drew on the popular music and other resources of THEIR day...

Please don't flame me if I didn't include someone's favorite musician. I'm not panning anyone. If there is something that makes you feel good that you like to listen to, that's quite ok in my book and its all that matters, and that artist definitely did his/her job. Well, maybe I'm panning the high school girls Louis Prima Benny Goodman impersonation just a little bit :p

16. KI6DCB

Yes, indeed, the Japanese have an interesting culture. They are the only people against whom nuclear weapons have been used, yet they have unabashedly embraced the culture of those who nuked 'em. Just since WWII the Japanese have become enthusiasts of Levi's jeans, baseball, jazz, rock-and-roll, "land barge" automobiles...nearly everything distinctly American. Yet, there is still something very Japanese about how they practice their Americaphilism (Is that a new word?).

I agree with you, Charley. Moments pass, never to be recovered. I have a short video on my computer of Al Hirt, his brother, Jerry, on trombone and Pee Wee Spitilera on clarinet at a session in Rome in 1962. It's very spontaneous and musical. There is one "bit" in which the three stand around one microphone and each plays one note of "When the Saints..." with the melody being played sequentially on each instrument as the "turn to play" moves quickly around the circle. Very hard to do and very entertaining!

The vast majority of what is being recorded today isn't even music, much less good music. "The suits" have taken over the industry, despite what one might see on MTV or CMT, and they have developed certain formulae into which they force every new act. Jazz in the 1950's was far removed from jazz in the 1930's. The same is true for rock 'n' roll in the 1970's vs. that from the 1950's. [C]rap, electronica, and country from the 2010's sounds just like [c]rap, electronica, and country from the 1980's; there has been no innovation or progress on the main music front for years.

The past is in the past. There is no reason to play "Get Back" on Apple's roof again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.