ad: dxeng

Jan Crystals

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K9FON, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. K9FON

K9FON Guest

Has anyone ordered crystals from Jan Crystals. Im looking for a 160 meter trasnmit crystal for my T4X and i cant find any for sale. I emailed Jan Crystals and they can make me one for $35.00 plus shipping.
  2. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I ordered crystals for my Drakes was two years ago. I used ICM and their cost was $20 per crystal plus $10 shipping. Their price may have changed since then.
  3. WB5WSV

WB5WSV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry to say that Jan crystals has a bad reputation with some people. One very experienced radio maintenance expert I know calls them nothing but junk.

My experience is quite limited with them. Back in the 70's I ordered a couple of WWII surplus crystals from them and I guess they were Okay.
    I did order a 2M crystal for my IC-215 from them in the early 80's and it did indeed quit on me.

ICM has an excellent reputation but I find them to be rather pricey.

Good Luck!
  4. K9FON

K9FON Guest

I'll check ICM tomorrow to see what they charge. If no luck with them, i'll keep checking Ebay and $35.00 seems kinda high i think.
  5. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to order an upper sideband carrier offset crystal for my R-599 receiver, until I found out that the cost was around $75 ! I can't imagine that the cost of manufacturing such a rock would be so high!

Look before you leap! 73, good luck. Jim
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

JAN used to be beyond reproach...of course that was a generation ago. I didn't know they had fallen off their pedestal. Well, as they say, caveat emptor.

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I order a JAN crystal back in the 80's and it did work. I moved all of my crystal business to ICM because they use "coldweld" crystal cans which is a Superior technology to soldered crystal cans regarding "crystal aging".

8. K9FON

K9FON Guest

So id need to order a 12.9 Mhz crystal to get to 1.8 Mhz?
  9. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds right.11.1 Meg difference. It has been a while, but I think that is what I have in my Drake twins.

As for Jan, I too remember them as the standard of the industry. Have not ordered from them in decades however...

$35.00 sounds about right, I would hate to try and homebrew an HC-6 myself...:eek:

10. KT4AE

KT4AE Guest

I have

I've gotten a number of crystals over the years for the Ranger, HT-44/SX-117 and one of the sideband crystals for my HT-32. The HT-32 crystal was in 2008 when the total, including shipping, was $31. I've found the ordering process to be easy. They have the equipment requirements at hand and know what to ask.

The product has always been satisfactory but the price is always a surprise.

Harry, KT4AE
    Maryville, Tennessee
  11. K9FON

K9FON Guest

$21.95 for a 12.9 Mhz 160 meter crystal.:D
    I guess ill be getting one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.