ad: OARC-1

James River Armory

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W2KS, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W2KS

W2KS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the James River Armory. I am considering purchasing one of their Springfield 1903 A3 refurbished straight stock rifles. Any info would be great.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't had any dealings with that company. But, be prepared when you shoot the M1903A3, they have a "kick like a mule"!

Glen, K9STH
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

They didn't have reckless rifles back then?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if I was going shooting, I wouldn't want something made in 1903.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, it would be much too old and tough to eat.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The original Springfield M1903 was designed in 1903 not really manufactured in 1903. There were millions of the original M1903 rifle made between 1903 and 1942. The m1903A3 came out in 1942. The last of the regular M1903A3 rifles were manufactured in 1944. However, both the M1903A3 and the "sniper" version M1903A4 were still being used by snipers in the Viet Nam War and the U.S. Navy was utilizing the M1903A3 to destroy mines even later.

The M1903A3 is still an excellent bolt action rifle in the .30 calibre (30-06). It is basically of Mouser design.

In the hands of an experienced marksman, the M1903A3 and M1903A4 are capable of "kills" up to at least 1700 yards (basically 1-mile). When properly maintained, the M1903, M1903A3, and M1903A4 are still excellent rifles and are still being used by a number of hunters these days.

For a while, I had an M1903A3. When taking it to a firing range I usually only carried 20-rounds of ammunition. After firing those 20-rounds my shoulder was usually pretty sore from the recoil. Frankly, I have to have a lot of respect for those soldiers who used the M1903- series in World War I, World War II, and in even later conflicts. Their shoulders were really taking a beating! The M-1 Garand rifle, with its gas recoil mechanism, is a LOT easier on the shoulder. However, the M-1 doesn't have the effective "kill" range of the M1903- series. The U.S. Carbine, calibre .30, M-1, fires a much smaller round and has very little recoil.

Shortly after being married, I took my wife out to a shooting range to let her fire a couple of my weapons. The first was a bolt-action .22 calibre rifle which has no recoil at all. She had no problems with it. Then I let her fire my M-1 carbine. She had no problems with it. Then, she wanted to fire the M1903A3. I would NOT let her fire that weapon. At the time she weighed all of 89 pounds fully clothed, soaking wet. The recoil would probably have sent her backwards, on her posterior, 20-feet!

I sold the M1903A3 a year, or so, after coming to work for Collins Radio here in Richardson, Texas. There are times that I wish that I had not been "talked out of" the M1903A3. I still have the .22 calibre rifle and the M-1 carbine.

Glen, K9STH
  7. KD8COO

KD8COO Ham Member QRZ Page

I would. Oddly, some of those older ones (as long as they were maintained) can be more reliable than newer, more cheaply made rifles.
  8. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that firearm model names/number are frequently named for the year of their introduction, not nessesarly the year a specific example of the model one might come across.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.