ad: MyersEng-1

J.D. Rivers - Chattanooga TN

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K6YF, Sep 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6YF

K6YF Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked for J.D. in 1964-5 as a R&D tech. for American Lava Corp. I do not remember his call other than he was a W4, but since I'm now 73 yrs old and he was quite a bit older, I'm guessing he might be a SK by now although if not he would probably be in his 90's. My only interest is to pay my respects to a hell of a nice guy and the one boss that truly stands out as someone I liked, both as an Elmer and as a friend.

Please contact me if you know of him, SK or not.

Thanks,
    Robert AA6UP
    topdawg044@yahoo.com

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

James D. Rivers Jr, W4JVM
    2955 Nurick Dr
    Chattanooga 5, TN
    USA

License Class: Advanced

James D. Rivers died on August 15, 1978 at the age of 80. James last resided in Hamilton County, Tennessee.
    http://death-records.mooseroots.com/l/226597824/James-D-Rivers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Davis Rivers

Birth: Jan. 11, 1898
    Death: Aug. 15, 1978

U.S. Navy, World War I
    Family links:
    Spouse:
    Flora Martin Rivers (1898 - 1984)
    Burial:
    Forest Hills Cemetery
    Chattanooga
    Hamilton County
    Tennessee, USA
    Plot: Section A, Lot 211
    Created by: Colleen L
    Record added: Jun 03, 2010
    Find A Grave Memorial# 53186889

[​IMG]

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg...Sst=45&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=53186889&df=all&

3. K6YF

K6YF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much Lee - I had written his call down somewhere . Anybody who knew JD can testify to the fact that he was a great guy.
    I had done some research a couple years ago which is where I got his call but it eluded me when I posted this. I knew little else other than the fact that it was no longer issued. I also had no idea that he had served in WWI. In my faulty memory of him, I remembered that he was about 20 years older than I was and it turns out from the info you provided that he was in his late 60's instead of his 40's.
    I was proud to have had him as a mentor, and most of my feelings about how to engineer projects the right way came from him. I have no doubt he influenced many other hams in very positive directions as well.

With Gratitude,
    Robert AA6UP

K2HAT likes this.