It's not the first time this has happened...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This subject never gets old
    [​IMG]

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Volt-Tank-Hydro

thanks to KA2CZU for the updated list!

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And just HOW do English speaking amateurs react when "Quebec" is pronounced (according to ICAO) as "KAY-beck?"

Dr. Kaybeck was in our Medical Genetics group; never thought of him as "Dr. Quebec.":confused::rolleyes:

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those of us have even a passing understanding of radio procedure know that it means Q.

Heck, I'm a CW op, yet I know the standard phonetic alphabet.

N5AVF likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Part of the problem comes from folks trying to somehow associate which is essentially hobby communications with professional communications. Of course, groups like public safety and aviation should have a uniform phonetic alphabet. Some may say "what about hams who participate in emergency communication groups"? In that case, it's perfectly logical to use uniform phonetics. When it comes to routine day to day ham radio operating there is no, so-called, "standard" required by the FCC. Yes, it's been covered many times on the Zed but either due to a lack of understanding, failure to read the rules and regulations or perhaps being new to the hobby, I expect it will appear again.

KILOWATT THREE XRAY RADIO

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There was "rotten QRM" back then, too (well, before and after WW2, anyway).

Actually, "rotten QRM" was reported in 1917: http://www.arrl.org/news/the-old-man-rotten-qrm

KA2CZU likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

We need a discussion on 10 codes usage in hAM radio

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10-74

W4IOA likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Q is even worse than X in this regard. While there IS "x-ray" there is really no sound associated with the letter q in English that isn't also associated with another letter, typically K or hard C. Most often of course it's followed by U and pronounced like "kw" but that would sound like "k" in something truly phonetic.

In that case an exception has to be made, so I guess they picked a word that a) doesn't sound like anything else, and b) most people know is spelled with a Q.

Heck, they could have used the word "queue." Oh, wait... :D

N2EY likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope someone wasn’t taking a 10-100.

Which at least is better than a 10-200. :rolleyes:

KK4ZYM and W5BIB like this.