It worked! Modified Mosley for 2 directors

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG0UFO, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
  1. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend told me if my stationary 3 element beam, which points east was modified to shorten the reflector to the same dimension as the director, I could go both east and west with a two element beam. I did it, and it worked as he stated. I guess the gain is a bit less now, but I have bi-directional capability, so I'm happy. That 47 year old Mosley is now more fun to use!

73, Mike
  2. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still think getting a rotator would have been a better idea. But this works for you and now you can hear what you have been missing in another 1/4 of the world. So now you have 1/2 the world covered. What about the other half?
    Have fun
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, I thought the whole Idea of a Yagi was front to back ratio so you could null out the US signals while boosting DX signals !!!???
    If you went to the trouble of getting a huge antenna up, why did you not go the extra step of installing it with a rotator ???
    All you really needed was a rotator to aim your beam !!

5. N4JTE

N4JTE Ham Member QRZ Page

With that design your getting pretty close to a non rotatable dipole.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the upper-left corner, front-side rejection is of more value than front-back rejection. When I point my yagi East or West, I want to not hear W6-land. When I point North or South, I want to not hear W1/W2/W3-land. Sometimes, I'll point the yagi for maximum QRM rejection instead of maximum level for the signal of interest.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The idea is having a ROTATABLE antenna !! to make it into a dipole is a waste of design !
  8. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The thing is to put the vertical antenna on the rotator for true omni-coverage!
  9. K1BXI

K1BXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Are not the traps in the reflector tuned for a different frequency than the ones in the director? (I may be wrong, anyone know for sure?) Simply making the reflector the same length as the director may not have accomplished what you thought. Like others have said, you may have pretty much a dipole now.

However, if you are getting the results you wanted, no harm done. Except for more aluminum in the air than you may need.

10. KG0UFO

KG0UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

The traps may be cut different (????, I may just have a dipole now.. but I enjoyed trying it out. Yes, I seem to be able to hear better to the west now, as well as transmit there. I have used the DE only before, but that was at a different location. I'm not much of a beam guy (I like to build my wire antennas), and I originally bought the antenna to try with my QRP radio. I do have a rotator, but have not used it with the Mosley, and don't plan on using it. Having a 47 year old 'dipole' with a couple of extra elements is okay with me, as long as I can still make contacts with it and my Kenwood TS 520S. Life is good when there is contact!

73, Mike
  11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agreed. My point was that, here in the NW (and the other three corners), F-B rejection isn't as important as F-S rejection.
  12. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

gee ,.................. have you ever seen a TH5 MK II?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.