Issue with Tarheel and TurboTuner2

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA6ILT, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6ILT

WA6ILT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it's because of all the equipment and ducting up in the attic (the air handler and water heater are up there too) but the noise level is pretty high and I have a lot of trouble tuning it up by ear.

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Antennas in or close to households don't mix well; I would go to great lengths to move it further away from sources of hash/RFI and try again, Dave.

Good luck!

WB5YUZ likes this.
  3. WA6ILT

Not possible. I'm in a townhouse with HOA restrictions. There's not even a tree near our unit that I can sneak a wire out to. The original Plan A was a wire antenna up in the rafters of the high peaked attic, but that was judged impractical for a couple of reasons. It looks like I may have to revert to that no matter how tough, but it may need to wait until fall. It's hot up there now!

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I get it now. The Tenna Tronix Turbo Tuner 2 is some kind of auto control for the motorized tap on the Tarheel.

5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello again. With all that HVAC stuff in the near field you'll have a very hard time of having the TH tune properly. Is there any way to get "above" the ducting? That might help but you're still at a loss for a counterpoise. Can that ducting be replaced with the plastic type instead of aluminum covered? The TargetTuner may not work with the 991 correctly. I know for a fact that the protocol with the 3000 isn't programmed into the TT and I believe the 991 may be in the same boat. WMR programmed the TT for MOBILE type radios and forgot the others and I'm pretty sure they haven't made any additional upgrades for other Yaesus. I could be wrong (I don't recall exactly the protocol for the 991 but I recall checking it against the mobile Yaesus and it (as was the 3000) was different. Wow! You've got your work cut out for you. I just have to imagine (through my own trials and tribulations) that the ducting is going to stifle any hope of the TH tuning correctly. Any possibility you can mount the TH on your vehicle with a "stealthy" coax/control line that you connect/disconnect? I know it's cumbersome but others have had to do the same thing to get on the air.

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

(1) You don't have to give up on the Tarheel, but:

(2) You should also work on other solutions. Attic antennas rarely work well (although sometimes they do).

For example, do you have space on the ground floor? Can you park your car near a window or door? In these circumstances Steve, WB2WIK, often suggests using a mobile antenna on your car, and running coax to it from your comfortable operating position inside. This works well on 20m and shorter wavelengths (but 20m is the DX band right now).

This is the kind of creative thinking that will get you on the air with a good signal, in spite of a "no antennas" rule.

Do you have any kind of tiny yard or patio space? A small transmitting loop placed outside may be another good bet. Small transmitting loops can work well indoors, too, because they have nulls that can be turned toward noise sources on receive. But generally speaking there is almost always a way to get the antenna outside if one is clever enough.

Charles, whose call I cannot remember right now, has done amazing things with small antennas that cannot be easily recognized as antennas per se and so usually go unnoticed by HOA/neighbors. Antennas can be hidden in strings of lights, for example.

Good luck! Don't get discouraged. There is an answer, but it will be difficult to find until you stop thinking "I can't because of my HOA" and start thinking "What can I do to work around/fool the HOA?"

7. WA6ILT

We have a lot of guys around here using attic antennas doing very well. There's even one running the exact same Tarheel antenna I am who has had very good luck with it. One big difference is that he has a very open attic space vs. my crowded one. I'm not giving up on it, but I sure want to make it easier to use.

We have no patio or yard space that isn't visible to the street, and every blade of grass outside the door belongs to the HOA. Except at Christmas time, no exterior lights are allowed. We can't put up a flag pole and aren't supposed to fly flags from porch brackets except on national holidays. My car lives in the garage because it has the lift for my mobility scooter (that avatar is 40 years old). There is no other parking where the feedline would not cross HOA property.

There's no space downstairs. I physically could run a lot of wire around the ceiling perimeter of the upstairs rooms, but that will not get XYL approval.

According to the HOA rules we don't even actually own the attic. People are only supposed to go up there to maintain the HVAC and hot water heater. Theoretically you can get permission to put TV antennas in there, but I'm operating on the principle it's easier to get forgiveness. That's about the extent of get around/fool the HOA. Oh, also theoretically I could load up the gutters, but they are *very* high up and I'd have to get a professional in to make sure the seams are bonded together, and that's sure to raise questions since the HOA does all the outside maintenance. My next door neighbor is on the board and retired. It would be very hard to hide from him.

We've been here since last July and I put a lot of thought into this. The attic has a very high peak with rafters near the top, well away from all the duct work, and that's where I wanted to string the Plan A wire. While I think that functionally that's still the best idea, the guys helping me thought it would be too much hassle and we gave up on the idea and I can't do it by myself. Well, it will be a lot of hassle but now I have somebody who used to do Dish TV installs who is willing to do the crawling around up there to get the wire strung. It will have to wait until fall because of the heat and because we can't be up there at 0500 making noise since there are neighbors with living space on that shared wall.

8. WA6ILT

Can't get above the ducting with that antenna--back to the Plan A wire ASAP. To me (and I guess Yaesu) the 991A is a mobile radio. I actually have the radio mounted to the underside of a cabinet above my desk using a Yaesu mobile bracket. The eventual goal is to control it via computer. So hopefully WMR and others will work on making their gear play nice with the radio. I'm happy to be their Beta tester if it means I get a tuner that works!