Is there really a 6-meter band for radio amateurs?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WA7DU, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W8ISK

W8ISK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new here. I too set up a 6m net in cleveland ohio in 1957 using a converted viking one with a 4d32 final and an s-20r with a converter. Worked 22 states on am with a 3 element beam with rotor about 25 feet above ground. Question: is phone now mostly ssb or am or both? Tnx. Ray. W8isk from charlotte nc

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On 6m, it's been "mostly" SSB since about 1969 or so. And then probably "99%" SSB from about 1972 to present.

However there is some AM activity still, on 50.400 MHz. Not a lot, but some.

I worked for Clegg and have been on 6m since 1966, first AM/CW, then SSB/CW but never been away from the band in 48 years.

3. W8ISK

W8ISK Ham Member QRZ Page

I thank you for your reply. Now i just have to find an old tube xcvr or some simple to operate nerer rig! 73's. Ray. W8ISK

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ray, the key today is the same as it was back then: ANTENNAS.

A lot of guys get disenchanted with six because they tried it with a dipole, or a loop, or a vertical, or whatever...and didn't do so well with any of that.

As you know, an elevated beam works. A big, higher elevated beam works better. Stacked beams at 120' work a whole lot better and if you have those, the band is always active.:eek:

5. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Shoot, I got into 6 meters with a 4 element yagi and I'm disenchanted. LOL! I wish I had gone with at least 6 or 7 elements so I'd only be mildly disillusioned. :D

Mike

6. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yepp, the number one key is indeed antennas. But another big key is having equipment attached to them that can actually extract and continuously present to you as much information as possible for ALL of the signals that are coming down the coax from those antennas..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.