Is there possibly anything that could happen to a amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N3JBH, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N3JBH

N3JBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there anything that possibly could ever happen to a amplifier that does not involve lowering the Q of the VHF suppressors ?

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure someone will let you know. Somehow, in nearly 40 years, using tubes purportedly notorious for breaking into VHF oscillation more often than actors breaking into song in a musical, I've managed (or been lucky enough) to not experience such oscillation.

IB4TL [​IMG][​IMG]

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HMMMMMM.....a sneaky trick to try and snuff W8JI out of hiding?

4. N3JBH

N3JBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang nabbit Lou you busted me... Sure do miss reading his educated comment's though... It a crying shame some folk's can not respect his wisdom.

5. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

Maybe this is because he's not the nicest person in the world to have a technical argument with? :) Even when he is clearly WRONG. I did enjoy the thread below but my patience with his poor attitude did wear down eventually.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?320715-Any-Advantage-to-a-Low-Pass-filter-if-no-TVI-etc/page2

I thought it was common knowledge that peak detectors are hyper sensitive to harmonics (with unknown phase relationship of the harmonic) but this was obviously news to W8JI.

6. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

As for the VHF instability thing I think there is a lack of technical analysis apparent (on ham related sites at least)

If you search for this subject the same old callsigns and arguments keep popping up on the first few hits. It's a real shame that this debate has carried on for so many decades.

I also think if typical amplifiers were analysed using modern tools by a proper RF consultancy then you would find that there are some simple stability enhancing tricks for individual amplifiers that haven't been tried yet.

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets assume for a moment that you and the other fellow are correct about sudden parasitic oscillations that suddenly appear, do there damage then dissappear. In laymans terms (please), what starts the incident off in the first place? If the amp can be stable for a long time and then an incident happens suddenly, what caused it at that very moment? Thanks

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope not, the Internet has been rather peaceful lately and his "wisdom" is easily replaced by many others.

Carl

9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We all know that many don't, and those that do are "marked". I have been following the debate for as long as it has exisited. I know as much now as I did then. It's the same old stuff over and over. Now you can imagine how our very own country fought a civil war. Seems as though unless this goes to hand to hand combat and someone falls to their death it will continue.

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't buy into voodoo magic either, unless you changed and do so now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.