ad: elecraft

Is there an equivalent to the Linux 'halt' command in Windows?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AB2T, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member

Just as the subject line says. Can I use the command line to shutdown the computer without using the graphical interface?

73, Jordan

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Yes you can
    just bring up the command prompt and type shutdown
    You should get the list of command line arguments...

The way the command behaves in XP is a little different than in Seven however the same functionality is retained.

I've used the shutdown command in my computer that records TV shows to shut off the computer after a program had been recorded.

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

5. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member

Shutdown, when issued in Windows 7, will save the state of all running applications then shut the machine down. Powering the machine back up will return the machine, including any/all applications that were running, excluding
    any external website applications, to the same state before the shutdown command was issued.If a web browser was logged into a website, that log in sessions will be terminated
    and the operator will have to log back into the website once the machine is back up. I tested this with my 64 bit Windows 7 machine and that's how it functions in Windows 7.

I don't see the "PsShutdown" command listed nor does Windows 7 recognize that as a valid command.

73s
    Mike
    W5RKL

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber

Command is:

shutdown -h now

Oops... you meant for windows... i need to read more carefully!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

That also. :)

8. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member

I thought the shut down command for Windows was a "16 pound adjustment tool" and to
    "Press ANY Key", LOL! :p

Don/KA5LQJ

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

You are confused that is the Mac shutdown tool. :D

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member

The trick with Windows machines is to keep them from shutting down, not shutting them down.

11. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member

No, it's not a standard part of Windows, it's a free download from Microsoft.

Sysinternals, now part of Microsoft, make all sorts of great utilities for Windows.

12. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

That is a handy suite of utilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.