Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7410 hasn't lived for a long long time to prove anything whereas the display on many TS830s are nearer to a long long time like 35 yrs plus. The 7410 uses a different wider screen from the 746/7400. I personally wouldn't take the chance on any of the large/glitzy displays if longevity is your goal.

2. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised to read this about the screens being the Achilles' heel of these radios. LCD screen technology has been around for a while now. You'd think they could make a screen that is at least as durable as any smartphone or laptop screen on the market. My laptop is going on 5 years and is on everyday all day, and I've never had a problem.

I really am thinking seriously about the FT-DX1200, but I might reconsider the FT-450D to save some coin if the screen is really going to be a problem. The problem with the encoder issue on the FT-450D is that it affected so many radios. I am assuming, more like hoping, that Yaesu has got that ironed out by now.

3. GM1FLQ

If you are not sure about the 450 encoder why not consider the Icom IC718. It may not have FM or 6m (no great loss) but it has a very conservatively rated PA as the radio is basically the same as the IC78 commercial radio. It has been around a while and has proven to be reliable, I have owned two of them and they have a solid feel to them with a nice full sized vfo knob and a clear easy to read display. It has a good speech processor which will give good tx audio punch even with the std hand mic and they work particularly well with the IC SM8 desk mic. Receive audio is good but like any rig only on a decent external speaker.

4. KD8UEI

Bingo! I am considering the IC-718. It's a modest radio, but I am just a casual ham and not really interested in contesting and such. I actually like the fact that it doesn't have DSP and all the bells and whistles of the more expensive rigs. Just a nice simple radio that gets you back to ham radio as it was in the days of yore before DSP.

That being said, I really do like the FT-DX1200, and there is a great sale going on right now that brings the cost way down. I'll be honest and say that I like the spectrum scope on the 1200. I could see myself using that a lot and it would save me a lot of time tuning around the dial. That's the main reason I am even considering the 1200.

5. GM1FLQ

This is just a personal view but in latter years it is evident that even the big three manufacturers have got a few things wrong in their rigs (in particular two of the big three) - these glitzy displays are kind of new to Yaesu and I wouldn't be taking the chance until they are well proven. After a bit of time it became apparent that Icom got it wrong with some of their glitzy screens and not just the backlight issue.
    Even after 40 plus years of listening to the bands I still think their is something magical in turning the VFO knob and wondering what will appear next - for me a spectrum scope would spoil that........just sayin. I can however see the merits for government agencies, the military and those into Utility listening.

W6REG likes this.
  6. KD8UEI

I misspoke before. The IC-718 does have audio DSP, but I was talking about IF DSP. I like the fact that it uses honest-to-goodness filters.

Another thing that I find troubling about the FT-450D, and someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it doesn't appear to have anyway to directly enter frequencies (no keypad). I use that a lot on my VHF/UHF rigs if only to get me to the approximate frequency where I want to be. The lack of a keypad on the 450D kinda makes the encoder problem ten times worse.

7. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

the ft-450d is a great little cb radio. you can get it tweaked up with moar poar and extree channels.

add some dbgains to your antenne and get rid of all the swars and you can literally stomp all over the meterbands

8. KD8UEI

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

9. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW my only HF rig is an old kenwood ts-120s. I got a good deal on it and all my ham money seems to go to other more pressing things. BUT I have worked the world with it and it performs very well IMHO for what it is. A 2nd VFO would be nice so I could participate in some of the activities where they use split. DSP would be nice to help with static fatigue(I almost always use headphones). I am grateful to have it as I am sure many hams growing up back when it was new were drooling over it wishing they could have one for xmas etc (like I did with guitars and video games as a kid).

It really does go back to antennas and skill for most operating. When I had my monoband homebrew 20m vertical setup with my carport as the groundplane I remember one time when I flat busted up a pileup working a station in Poland :D. Its what you do with the gear you have (provided its moderately adequate).....and that's part of the magic and challenge of ham radio. Nothing like the feeling of achievement you get knowing that all the reading on antenna design and researching how to make what you have perform at its best paid off.

sometimes less is more and I wouldn't know what to do with one of these spaceship radios anyway......most important thing is HAVE FUN :cool:

10. VA3FLN

VA3FLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a rather pleasant QSO with a fellow using an FT450D earlier today on 40m and considered the rig as well before I decided upon the FT897D, as I wanted the VHF-UHF and the greater tuning range of the LDG897Plus autotuner. Given that the best antenna setup for my QTH was an end fed wire strung through the yard that might exhibit higher SWR at times (i.e. after a rainfall), I'm glad that I chose as I did, but I certainly would not have done badly had I gotten the 450D. Best of luck with whatever you get.