Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5USS

N5USS Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, it's like a Toyota Corolla. Not big, not flashy, not expensive, just good basic reliable transportation. You want Lexus or another luxury car, go ahead.

The 450D is a good basic radio.

2. KD2EOM

KD2EOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Ft-450D. It's a great radio with some cool features that you wouldn't expect for a radio of that price, like a voice recorder.

Apparently, they actually built the FT-450D with a 150W transmitter but internally limited it to 100W max - that way there is some buffer room and you won't burn out the transmitter by transmitting at 100 watts. (There is a secret menu that can bring it back up to 150W though!)

You're correct, the transmitter is on the dirtier side, especially for digital modes, but I've made numerous PSK31 QSOs on it with no problems.

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ended up buying a used FT-950 for a little less than a new 450. I am glad I have it. For entry level, honestly, I find it hard to fault the 450D, however.

Used rigs are a crapshoot, and if you are a new HAM, the last thing you want to deal with is a problem. Sending these things off for repair is neither cheap or fun to wait for. If you know you're getting a fully-functioning radio, then you're safer.

Keep in mind that you can try and sell these new entry-level rigs used for barely a $100 to $150 loss. Nothing wrong with trying one out. The guys selling the more expensive models off probably took a hit in excess of $500 to a lot more.

But, if you can find a used one at a good price (and you trust the source), then you may find a better deal, as I did. I don't feel the need to upgrade soon, anyway.

One last comment -- a nice thing about the smaller entry-level rigs is that you can often take them portable much easier. As a new ham struggling with an antenna, you might find this to be a better option, just so you can go mobile, or try out someplace outdoors where you can get an antenna up higher. If there is any minor regret I have (and I really don't, I guess) it would be that my 950 is too big and heavy for mobile.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an "appliance operator" and have a FT-450D which does everything I could want. I work CW and digital modes and have never experienced any problems.

Can't say anything negative about it and am glad I bought it. It might not have all the bells and whistles of more expensive gear but those features aren't of interest to me. FYI

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Appliance??? Like I said if all you ever used was a 450 you will not know any better Never said it was unreliable but I did say it was a under-performing one.

K0YB likes this.
  6. N7ZAL

I was giving my opinion, without you in mind.

Today there are operators fascinated with graphs, blinking lights, and other lures. If that floats your boat fine, however I take a more traditional view of operating. I have operated those units and found them to be a distraction. The more bells and whistles the more some people are impressed.

Regardless, the FT-450D is a great rig, and does what I need and a lot more. FYI

KM6POA likes this.
  7. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not attracted to eye candy or fancy displays but I am hard core when it comes to performance ie selectivity and such. BTW I still have a TS 830 I bought new unused from a estate sale long ago and will give a lot of more expensive rigs a run for the money and it has no eye candy. 450 lacks but again like I said if you never had better you will think its great.

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

So, how would one access this secret menu to open the radio up to 150 watts?

9. N7ZAL

I have used more "advanced" rigs but personally don't need all the ornateness. Same with most of what I own and was raised with the caveat that "a poor workman blames his tools." Guess that stuck throughout my life. :)

So it be.

KX4CC and VA1WAB like this.
  10. N7ZAL