Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, eHam. I take anything I read there with a grain of salt -- much like Amazon reviews. I've seen utter crap get 5.0 reviews, and decent products get slammed because they aren't U.S. made.

I tend to favor forums for factual reviews, although I join and browse all the prior messages, trying to figure out what is a legitimate issue, and what is bull-hockey.

2. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

It may well be that eham's reviews are crap, but enough people have brought this issue up that it cannot be ignored. I believe them when they say the encoders went out on their radios.

3. N9ETB

N9ETB Ham Member QRZ Page

I own the 450-D and it is a nice little radio.

I run the MD-100 desk mic and get great audio reports.

Antenna is the W8AMZ ZS6BKW and I have made contacts all over the world with this set up.

The menu is easy. Some say differently. Just get used to it, and it is as easy as pie.

The display is nice, the DSP is nice. The built in tuner works really well, for being a built in tuner.

Overall a nice little radio.

WA9JOQ and K8NIV like this.
  4. K1MMI

K1MMI Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-718 is $600 and the FT-450D is $700.

When you add the different options you may want, I think you will find the IC-718 is way more expensive than the FT-450D.
    If you want equipment to match the IC-718 power supply is $400 and FT-450 Power Supply is $145.
    If you mix and match and buy a power supply and antenna tuner from other manufacturers then no price difference.
    What about filters? They can add a lot to the cost.

Do you want to operate any of the digital modes? Look into what it would add to the cost for both radios. If you do your homework the total cost of a radio plus options may surprise you.

I don't own a FT-450D but on the air I've worked stations using the 450D and it sounded as good as a $3000+ radio.

VA1WAB likes this.
  5. KD8UEI

Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree that the FT-450D is the best deal going right now for entry-level rigs. I do have to basically disregard the built-in antenna tuner because my antennas will likely be far from resonant (apartment). I plan on getting a manual tuner.

But, yeah, I know that the FT-450D is better than the IC-718. My only concern are the problems that have come up with the 450D and the lack of systemic problems with the 718. Either will get me on the air and I'm not terribly worried about trying to convert a $600 radio into a contest rig because I will likely be a casual DXer. Plus, in the future I will probably upgrade anyway.

6. KV4LQ

KV4LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 450D is an awesome rig for starters. If you want a little more functionality, try the 950. The 450D is an awesome rig on its own, though.

KG7QJB likes this.
  7. KD8UEI

I am almost persuaded. The only other radio with similar functionality in the price range is the Icom IC-7200. For about the cost of the 7200, I can get an FT-450D, FM on 6 and 10 meters, an antenna tuner (built-in), and a power supply. The only thing the 7200 has going for it is that I prefer its appearance and it is an Icom.

8. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I had a FT450 for 3 yrs, never was defect.
    My friend has one for 6 yrs now still OK.

The one of my friend runs about 300 days a year 24 hrs a day.

It is not a bad rig a FT450(D), for appartment dwellers antennas will be the biggest chalenge.
    Ic 7200 is alos a good rig, even a bit better as the FT450(D) , but has no tuner and FM.
    For me no problem, never use internal tuners and never use FM on HF.

Also never use digital modes or computers in the shack.

73 Jos

9. N9SWA

N9SWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure you've alrdy purchased your radio but I would like to add that I've had my 450d since Oct 2014 I use it for ssb and cw great rig. For the price and all the goodies it comes with hard to beat. I really like the built in DSP use it all the time for the weak ones.
    73's
    de
    Dan N9SWA

N4EEV likes this.
  10. K8NIV

K8NIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am just getting started in the HF world, and the guys told me I should look at this radio, so I did the research on the new FT 450d, I bought mine in 2-2015 and I listened to it for about 2-3 weeks before I jumped in and got my feet wet....I can't compare it to the other radios, because this is my first radio...

But I looked at the used radios, and I just paid the few extra dollars and bought a new radio...the menu seems to be easy to use, and like the DEP/SEL, it's all easy to use....I'm still learning my way around on it, but yes I would reccommend anyone interested in a radio to purchase one of them....I did look at the compalints the others had on this radio, and all I seen was a problem with the mic plug where its like a telephone jack, instead of the other type, may be a problem to wire a D-104 or something like this up to it..when I did my research on it, I looked at everything, and talked to people running one ....

As far as how good a job this radio does in DX, this guy here KA6OCA Gary, he was my very first contact and he helped me get my radio set where it sounds good at....my RF power is set at 30 watts, Mic gain is set on Normal, mic EQ is on 7, and everyone I have talked to says it sounds good clean clear and loud...just running the stock mic..just working the 10m band for now....but anyways, I think you would be happy with one of these....