Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought an early version (Feb 2016) and had no problem with the encoder. Yaesu has stated that they fixed the issue. The FT-450 is a solid radio, built like a rock. It has all of the features you'd want - 6m, internal tuner, DSP - and no optional boards to buy. For the price, it's hard to beat.

2. AC2QH

AC2QH Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one when I got back on the air after 50 years. It is a good radio for the money. I have 175 DXCC confirmed using a G5RV and a long wire. I work CW, SSB, RTTY, SSTV and FT8 with it. The only issues I have with it are;
    1, limited audio controls and input options - only 3 input level (gain) choices; no real control over ALC (limiter? compressor? who knows what it is?) - it is off at low input level selection and on at normal and high input level options; rear audio input (aka data via the DIN 6 pin connector) only active with mode set to the data position - and it has no level control or ALC controls - ALC seems always to be on. The mic EQ is limited and difficult to know exactly what it is adjusting and what it sounds like. The mic input is on a cat5 style plug so connecting real mic is a challenge - and did I mention no mic gain control? I gave up trying to use real mics or a headset/boom mic. But the supplied hand mic works and sounds OK.
    2. Internal speaker (on top of unit) is strident and not pleasant to listen to for a long period of time - but an external speaker improves the sound.
    3. 60M band can only transmit on 5 factory set channels and only using USB and CW. There are some questions if the SSB transmit signal is properly set at the mid point of a channel and of course the tech support people don't even understand the question. I haven't been able to use FT8 on 60M because the radio will not switch to DATA mode on that band which means the FT8 tones would need to be input into the front cat5 8 pin at as a low (mic) level signal -see #1 above. So FT8 on 60M would require a re-patch and level adjustments from the computer and it is just not worth the trouble. So the 60M band is pretty much useless for me.

But for the money, it is a marvel especially when compared to the Knight Kit rigs I grew up with.

3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450D is the best low cost transceiver option IMO. Better than the Alinco DX-RT9 and the Icom IC-718 low cost radios.

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is the worse beginner radio ever made.:D:D:D:D

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-450D has DNR, the ICOM IC-718 & Alinco DX-SR9T does not. That is a huge deal breaker. Current DNR makes ham radio a please to use.
    The FT-450D has a better receiver vs the IC-7100 per QST reviews.
    For $100 more I would buy the Yaesu FTDX-1200 with spectrum scope and better receiver vs the FT-450D. The FTDX-1200 is the best deal ever in new ham radio transceivers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The D model took care of all that.....I have never had problem with the 4 I now have.

7. SV1RZX

SV1RZX Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a Yaesu FT-450D. I modified it (extended transmission area). There is a problem.
    There is not anymore USB+Data mode which is used in digital modes.
    450D now receive digital waves but these do not go to the PC / TNC
    The mode Data is appeared only with LSB (LSB+Data).
    Until now I used USB+Data for digital modes.
    Can anyone help me?

8. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

. My shack rig is the ftdx-3000, but the 450D at 9 lbs, sounds attractive for the go-box I am planning for EMCOM

..and the 3rd type of person who would argue with you, when you told him Tuesday follows Monday.

9. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A simple answer to the OP: Yes.