Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Would you mind detailing how you did it? I am a novice and would like to do the same to my 450D.

2. PC1RZ

PC1RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well i have the 450D, and i am thingking of replacing it with a ic7300. Any good reason not to ? Especially weak signal wise ?

3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7300 is light years ahead of the 450D.

I don’t have the 450 anymore, I have too many radios already, but I do have the 7300.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting interview with Rob Sherwood on Ham Talk Live (episode 99), detailed why some SDR radios tend to receive poorly in situations like field day or other multi-radio, close quarters operation. Not sure it would be a deal-breaker, but worth listening to.

I did get to operate a 7300 for several hours during a recent event, and I liked it better than the 991. It reminded me of my IC-7000, albeit with more menu items. If I had to get a new lower-end rig, I'd go with it, but not sure I'd give up my 450D for it. Find someone who has one, and sit down and play.

5. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

We have owned 3 of the FT-450(d) radios, and used them mainly for remotes, (ie, set up on the Blue Ridge Parkway) and special event station use.
    The receiver is POOR, which was a good thing, we only worked the strong signals. One nice feature about those and the FT-950, at a glance, you can see what's engaged, and what's not from that sort of 'process chain' near the top of the display. Which doesn't mean it's easy to change, just easy to figure out what you're doing. Stock VFO knob sucks.

We got $550 average, and that was adding a mic/headset adapter & Headset w/boom mic & foot switch - last year. The value of the FT-450D is falling, like all the non-SDR radios. I base this on the 18-20 HAMfests we attend annually. I will also admit, we took those radios, in pairs, into some miserable conditions - and they performed admirably, on a car battery with a booster for 8-10hrs, never with a hiccup, until the battery voltage went down. If we didn't have 4 IC-7000's for GO-BOX portables, the FT-450D would be my second choice - it's the built in tuner, they both have weak receivers & awkward menus.

Not so with the IC-7300.... as soon as I come up with the right portable enclosure, the IC-7300 will become our main radio for remotes & special events.
    Price is right, so far it's held up good, interfaces easily with a computer, very intuitive & easy to operate for a beginner, a couple of mods (ATU for 6:1), and it ought to be a great GO-BOX radio. My buddy of ours takes his camper up in to the Rockies of Wyoming on weekends - says it's quite an addictive radio - I agree completely.

6. PC1RZ

Thanks for the info, i did the math and bought the 7300.
    450D has been traded in, got a good deal.
    I had quite a good time with it, and worked my longest distance of more than 8000 miles with it.
    Never felt it was a bad receiver, but you had to adjust shift/width/dsp/rfgain/notch/contour al the time to pull the weaker signals to a readable signal and with the ergonomics of the 450 that was sometimes very challenging. On the 7300 and FX-DX3000 the controls are faster to get to, that helps much.

7. PC1RZ

take a look at the HUPRF PAT boards.
    I almost put one in my 450D, beacuse i liked that fucntion very much on the FX-DX3000.

8. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

One particular thing ICOM got right, that VFO "tension" adjustment (not the same as a frequency lock).
    In the shack, on a desk, short of an earthquake, bumping the VFO off frequency is a rarity.
    Out in the field, picnic table, card table under a tent, inside a motorhome, van, truck, or cramped quarters with stuff shaking and bumped - being able to tighten that thing up, or loosen it for quickly moving around - it's a really useful thing, and it's out-of-the-way, hardly noticeable.

I won't part ways with a radio that has "fit" well into a specialized need. Sort of like Metric and SAE wrench sets, the right one for the job works the best, without complications.
    IMO, the IC-7000 is still the best radio for mobile contesting, it's got the right buttons in the right places, and road & wind noise cancels out the super-sensitive radio's advantages. (we actually pulled the guts of the glove box out, and shoved a K3 in there, thinking it'd give us an advantage, every little bump in the road knocked us off frequency) Weak signal stuff while rolling down the road... in a Subaru Forster...? naaa...

9. KG7QJB

KG7QJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the FTDX 1200 by Yaesu which is on sale now. It has a built in tuner. My understanding is it replaced the 950. Best deal going.

10. KG7QJB

KG7QJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally a Yaesu FTDX1200 would be a better choice. I purchased mine used and it is quite a radio that does everything I needed and with a built in tuner.