Is it time for amplifier mfgrs to step back and "rethink"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KM5FL, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So, want to have a "sked?" I have to go for dinner in an hour but have a bit of time. Pick a frequency. My noise level is "nothing," which is about what it normally is, unless it's very dry and windy -- then it picks up.

2. WB2WIK

That's funny, Alan.

But I had a 4K Ultra for years that would easily run 3kW PEP output although I never used it above legal limit because I'm cheap and don't want to pay more for my electric bill than absolutely necessary.

My thing is fine.:eek:

It's not bad to have 50% headroom on an amp, usually IMD is better that way. I've never used an SS amp at home (yet) but maybe one of these days...when the tube gurus are all SK and there's no other choice. Unfortunately, I think I'll live to see that day.

3. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

Try 14.316

4. WB0LSR

WB0LSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting to me that number 6 is so pointed.. it really stands out from the rest. Sounds like someone's got issues with a certain type of "amplifier user", or perhaps he's directing that at someone specific.. hmmmm.

I find the posts here in which people have made solid technical points to be far more worthwhile than some guy's opinions of everyone else. Carl's previous inability to refrain from spouting his opinion of me in a technical thread is what earned him a most illustrious position on my ignore list some time ago. That's all I've got to say about that or any KM1H post.

5. WB2WIK

Done! Thanks for the QSO Russ, CU on the air.

6. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

Definitely, and that whole QSO was done with toobs!

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you may Sue.

Carl

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks I love it :)

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im sorry to hear that you stain your panties so easily, maybe try wearing Depends. The comment was directed at nobody on here, its a composite of experience with that breed for 50 years. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Apparently you are incapable of even following your own stated position. And then go on a rant for absolutely no reason. Id be proud to be on your ignore list.

Carl

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Solid technical arguments are always worth their weight in gold and them some.
    This thread has been a thoughtful discussion of the issues presented here regarding the bennifits and shortcomings of both types of amplifiers.

In regard to item number six in Carl's post can be applied to many both in amateur radio and in the electronics hobbies community in general. I've seen QST and Ham Radio articles written up in a manner that made the process of building a particular item deceptively easy. I see Carl's statement as what it says on face value nothing more. If we didn't have people pushing the state of the art and out there on the bleeding edge there would be little or no forward progress in the aspect of homebrewing.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.