Is it reasonably simple to test an amplifier?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by SVTCOBRA00, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVTCOBRA00

SVTCOBRA00 QRZ Member

I just came across two Mirage amplifiers and Id like to test them to verify they work correctly. Is this an easy task?

Thanks in advance

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber

If you are on the correct band with the right amount of drive power, the proper power supply, use a dummy load with a wattmeter, then check out is simple. Lacking any of these things and it will be very difficult.
    What models of Mirage amplifiers are you testing?
    Get back to us and let us know what you're doing.
    Gary

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Very easy, depends on the model amplifiers.

Where are you located? I have "test jigs" all set up for testing those, which take all of about one minute to connect, if you're local.

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

Also nice to know if the receive preamp is working I have 5 of them (2) 2m 160w a 50 and a 10w drive, (2) 2m 300w a 25 and a 50w drive and a 2-5w in for 35w out 2m QRP app.

Gary told you exactly what is needed only thing I could add is an antenna to check preamp.

Fred/N0AZZ

5. SVTCOBRA00

SVTCOBRA00 QRZ Member

Hi guys...Thanks for all the advice. Im located in southern Maine. The two units are a Mirage B1016 and B3016.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Well, I'm in southern California, so that's not too close.

Those are both very simple amplifiers and actually identical except the B1016 has one more transistor, used as a driver stage.

If you know Dave, K1WHS, he could probably check them both out for you in 10 minutes.

7. SVTCOBRA00

SVTCOBRA00 QRZ Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll contact Dave this weekend and see if he can help me out with em..Im only 10 miles from him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.