Is it HAM or ham or Ham or.....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD5KUF @ Aug. 20 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">. . . But, we are answerable to the official observer system, the frequency coordination system and section management system of our national member sponsored organization, the ARRL. They in turn, like noncom officers to commissioned officers, are responsible to the FCC.

We are allowed to govern ourselves in pretty broad terms within the rules, by a duly member elected official structure in the League, (If you are not a member, don't criticize the job they do for all of us, equally). If a problem is too big for the league to handle within their limited authority, it is taken to a higher power, the FCC, whose officers work under their own chain of command.  
    I commend the FCC and its officers, for the fact that they don't want to administer to us any more than absolutely necessary, and tend to ignore fairly trivial complaints that should be dealt with by ARRL officials, probably on the local OO level. But if you are a real problem on a large scale, the higher command structure, in the person of Riley Hollingsworth and his people, will make you wish you had walked the straight and narrow path.

Overall I think it is a fine service to be in for those who really want to be &quot;hams&quot; at any level. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

ummmmm . . . you answer to the OO system and ARRL?  I guess I need a new copy of Part 97.  And you say minor problems should be dealt with by the ARRL?  And we are allowed to govern ourselves by the official structure of ARRL???    WOW, holy begeebers, when did this change?  Last I looked, we weren't accountable to them.  I guess I should keep up with rule changes, huh?  But in 28 years of hamming, I always thought we were accountable to FCC.  Amazing what I learn here.

Ok, enough of that silliness.  

KD5KUF, do yourself a favour and call your beloved ARRL and order yourself a copy of Part 97.  Read it.  Read it carefully.  And stop believing all you read from Newington.   Here's the real deal.  ARRL is a radio club.  Just like the one that might meet in the library in your town.  They enforce NOTHING.  We are accountable to them for NOTHING.  They make no rules, they enforce no rules, they are NOTHING official.   What they are is a radio club that has been selected by the FCC to be the big suggester.  ARRL talks, FCC listens much of the time.  And that's good for those who hang on every word from Newington.  It's not always so good for those of us who don't agree with Newington.   But that's life.  

Once FCC makes something a rule, we are then required to follow it.  ARRL doesn't make the rules, and they darn sure don't enforce them.  The day ARRL arrives at your house to enforce something, call the cops - quick.

2. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5ATX @ Aug. 20 2002,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ummmmm . . . you answer to the OO system and ARRL?  I guess I need a new copy of Part 97.  And you say minor problems should be dealt with by the ARRL?  And we are allowed to govern ourselves by the official structure of ARRL???    WOW, holy begeebers, when did this change?  Last I looked, we weren't accountable to them.  I guess I should keep up with rule changes, huh?  But in 28 years of hamming, I always thought we were accountable to FCC.  Amazing what I learn here.

Ok, enough of that silliness.  

KD5KUF, do yourself a favour and call your beloved ARRL and order yourself a copy of Part 97.  Read it.  Read it carefully.  And stop believing all you read from Newington.   Here's the real deal.  ARRL is a radio club.  Just like the one that might meet in the library in your town.  They enforce NOTHING.  We are accountable to them for NOTHING.  They make no rules, they enforce no rules, they are NOTHING official.   What they are is a radio club that has been selected by the FCC to be the big suggester.  ARRL talks, FCC listens much of the time.  And that's good for those who hang on every word from Newington.  It's not always so good for those of us who don't agree with Newington.   But that's life.  

Once FCC makes something a rule, we are then required to follow it.  ARRL doesn't make the rules, and they darn sure don't enforce them.  The day ARRL arrives at your house to enforce something, call the cops - quick.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I have the rule book, and I fully understand that the ARRL is not the Federal authority. It is just us, trying to govern ourselves so a few anarchists who can't play nicely together, don't ruin it for everybody. That is why we voluntarily submit to the ARRL at various levels. To keep the Feds noses out of our business as much as possible, and seemingly with their blessing.

The ARRL is kind of like, going to a big brother to set us straight rather than having dad take a belt to us. If you understand the anology. I for one prefer to let the real &quot;Big Brother&quot; stay out of it as long, as we can guide each other down the path. If you choose not to belong that is your own business, why don't you go mind it for a change. [​IMG]

3. VE6DDT

VE6DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ Aug. 19 2002,20:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Aug. 19 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know that it is semantics.  But, semantics play a definite part in the overall scheme of things.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is why I'm an engineer, not a lawyer. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So ! You're responsible for the design of that particular item that I can't get at to fix, huh !? [​IMG] Shame on you. You should taking up the legal profession [​IMG]

4. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD5KUF @ Aug. 21 2002,10:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">. . .The ARRL is kind of like, going to a big brother to set us straight rather than having dad take a belt to us. If you understand the anology. I for one prefer to let the real &quot;Big Brother&quot; stay out of it as long, as we can guide each other down the path. If you choose not to belong that is your own business, why don't you go mind it for a change. :0[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you believe in ARRL, more power to you. I don't. And while I choose not to be a member, I DO hold an amateur license, so whether ARRL and/or their membership likes it, what they do IS my business as it can and does have quite an effect on MY use of my license.

5. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us also not forget that they claim to represent ALL U.S. Amateur Radio Operators, not just their members......

6. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us also not forget while they ( A.R.R.L. ) claim to represent ALL U.S. Amateur Radio Operators,not just their members,it is the members who are financing the Security of Amateur Service. The large numbers of non-members are getting a free ride at the expense of the members. What ever happened to the idea of pay your fair share, or does the World really owe some a free ride...........     73,   ORV        [​IMG]

7. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

Well Orv, I respect your opinion, though I disagree. First off, I like to think I DO pay my fair share - emergency communications I've been involved with over the years, traffic handling, etc. No, I'm not Joe Civil Defense, but I know how to handle things when they need to be handled.

As for ARRL and the security of the Amateur Service, I can't go along with you there. I for one don't like what the Amateur Service is becoming at the hands of the ARRL. I've said it here before: with what I'm hearing too much of on the bands anymore, I'm not sure it's a ham radio I will want to be part of into my dotage.

Tell me this Orv, judging by your call, previous posts, and age, I think your K6 call is an original. Was ARRL helping you back in '64-'68 when they were behind taking away your privledges? As rotten at THAT was, it at least could be seen on paper as being &quot;good&quot; for the service. Now that ARRL has done a complete 180 in the 35 or so years since then, does that mean that what's good has changed completely too? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nope, ARRL isn't helping me much. The ham radio they're crafting isn't what I'd hoped it would be. In my 28 years of hamming, I've enjoyed a lot, but times are a changing.

8. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Aug. 21 2002,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let us also not forget while they ( A.R.R.L. ) claim to represent ALL U.S. Amateur Radio Operators,not just their members,it is the members who are financing the Security of Amateur Service. The large numbers of non-members are getting a free ride at the expense of the members. What ever happened to the idea of pay your fair share, or does the World really owe some a free ride...........     73,   ORV        [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why should I pay to be mis-represented. And, yes, they are taking everyone for a ride..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

W5ATX
    Yes you are right my call is an original issue and happens to be the only call I have had,issued in 1956 I believe it was September of that year if my memory serves me right.
    I also do not like every thing the ARRL does,but my membership is always current in hopes I can help build the Amateur Fraternity back to some recognizable resembleance to what it once was and not just a HOBBY for yuppies to waste their excess time. However I am aware that being the only National Association for Amateur Radio and the one most likely to put Ham Radio back on track I have more influence on the vote as a member than as a non-paying amateur.
    I didn,t like the National Election results of this country ,but I didn't leave, I stuck around and watched the country and economy go down the tubes for 8 years in hopes that it would soon be possible to have some one in the Whitehouse with the morales and ethics  deserving of the leader of the free world.
    I vote and I let my feelings and choice be heard, not like some younger generation who has never defended an ice cream stick but rush to claim their rights as defended by others. I believe if you don't exercise your right to choose you have no room to bitch when it goes the otherway. Of course these are my personal feelings and belief's for others the mileage may vary.
    The ARRL is a National Organization keyword &quot;Organization&quot; when we all push or pull in the same direction we can move mountains. That doesn't mean we can't have divergent views but those views have to be expressed in the spirit of cooperation to be of any value to the Fratenity. All this bitching and moaning and whining and crying just doesn't feed the bull dog.
    I agree as I have stated on other post's I don't like the direction  that Ham Radio is going either,Quality of Service is being sacrafised for Quantity,always a bad choice as history has proven many times over. The common foe to Amateur Radio is out there waiting with the big bucks to suck up our frequencies and drive Ham Radio into oblivion,but as POGO once said &quot; I have met the enemy and he is US &quot;. With out even the appearance of a united front we as Hams are headed in only one direction.If we as the Amateur Radio Service are to go down in defeat let it be with Honor against the common foe and not the enemy from within.  All this crap from the kiddies  about not wanting to learn code or study for advancement I feel that is their choice but don't burden the rest with your childish mannerisms,if you don't want to qualify for the ticket then go bug some one else we as Hams have not needed slackers in the past and now is not the time to start.
    As far as the 180,would you want to be part of an organization or group which took a staunch stand and refused to update their opinion when it became obvious mistakes have been made? I for one would not ,I personally like to feel I can make a decision based on the facts at hand but in light of new updates I am always willing to reconsider when viewing the bigger picture. Any organization is only as big and has only the power that is generated by the number of members who are willing to participate.
    This dissertation has gone far too long and I'm sure there will be many good inputs both yea and nay and we will all have to tolerate the voice of the kindergarten class and their Torches of wisdom showing the world the light......                73,   ORV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.