Is it HAM or ham or Ham or.....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2PVP

N2PVP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I like can ham, smoked ham, fresh ham and of course bacon! But all of it is bad for my heart so I will have to stick with ham radio it's less filling.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For GYQ:

I agree wholeheartedly that, for all practical purposes, amateur radio is a hobby. However, legally, it is a service as defined by Federal Regulations. There are all sorts of interests that are "chomping at the bit" to get those frequencies reserved for amateur radio operation. They would definitely like for the service to be redesignated as a "hobby". That would remove any protection that we have, and, for all practical purposes, take away those frequencies resulting in the demise of the amateur radio service.

That is why I keep pointing out that amateurs should not refer to our operation as a "hobby", but as a service. I know that it is semantics. But, semantics play a definite part in the overall scheme of things.

Glen, K9STH

3. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Lest there be any confusion by my post........ I take my Federal Communications Commission Amateur Radio License very seriously. What, because I'm still fascinated by the "magic" of it all, I'm not a "serious" ham? Or because I can only operate my station a few hours a week, I'm "just" a hobbyist? What, "real" hams are at the controls 24 hours a day at the ready? I would love to be able to do that, but with 2 jobs, it just isn't possible.

I'm always looking for new ways to improve my station. I'd be ready, and hopefully available, if ever needed by my government. I like studying solar propagation, and I'm about ready to have my first experience in installing a rooftop tower, beam & rotor. I'd also like to try my hand at home-brewing some kind of wire antenna for 40/80 in the near future.

What exactly is it I should be doing to be a "serious" ham? No disrespect intended, I'd really like to know. I have all the respect in the world for you old timers. I just don't know what it is that you want us newer hams to be. It does not bother me one whit to say that I am ignorant of what I do not know. If there is one thing I've learned in my 47 years, it's that I still have a lot to learn. So educate away!

I know this has gotten off-topic from the original post, my apologies. But then, I reckon just about every thread here does so sooner or later. I used to get angry at some of the younger posters for giving the old timers a hard time...... but geez, sometimes it seems some of you just love to berate anyone "new" to the hobby. They may not know what is expected of them, but they're too afraid to ask because of the brow-beating they'll get! If they're not learning what they should before getting licensed, it's YOUR responsibility to teach them. You guys have got to learn to "share" your service/hobby with other people, lest it surely dies. Of course there will be undesirables, just as in the population as a whole. But they will eventually be weeded out, hopefully, or leave for lack of interest. If not, we learn to operate "around" them. Just like in "real life." If the service has changed as much as you say, I can only say I'm sorry. I think. But there is nothing I can do to bring it back. Adapt, improvise, overcome........ those are a few words that come to mind.

73, Mike
    kc5nyo

4. K9STH

I don't think that it really matters how much time one spends "on the air". It really matters how one conducts him/herself when on the air. Treating others with respect is something that a minority, but definitely a vocal minority, have forgotten. There are those who cannot seem to speak without every-other word being profanity. There are those who criticize everything other operators do. Then, there are those who refuse to leave behind their CB or freebanding roots. All of these types definitely detract from the amateur radio service.

Frankly, I personally do not spend that much time operating these days. When I do, you might find me on 160 meter SSB, 30 meter CW, 2 meter SSB, or 440 MHz FM (or anywhere on any mode in between). However, I try not to be one of the "trouble makers".

If someone is operating using a lot of CB "lingo", etc. There are ways to correct that person without embarrassing him/her. If the person doesn't get the "hint" after a while, then they probably fit into the group that will never change. Then, if you wish to continue to work that person, then you just have to "put up" with their operating habits.

If someone is using profanity, ignore them. Don't "jam" them, but after they have made their transmission, go back to the previous station like nothing had been said by the person using profanity. That really "drives" them crazy!

If someone is "brand new", take some time to actually help that person, not to make "fun" of them.

With the "vanity" calls, it is impossible these days to tell how long someone has had a license. Yes, in the "old" days, there were a few operators who made things miserable for others (i.e. the legendary W2OY). But, fortunately, they were few and far between. Now days, a "rank" newcomer can have a call that was originally issued in the 1930s, and can be one of those trouble makers. This gives the impression that the person is an "old timer".

There are a few real "old timers" who do not conduct themselves appropriately. But, there are more people who have only been licensed for a brief time who fall into this category as well.

Unfortunately, it only takes a few to cause problems for the many. If everyone would stop and think before pushing the PTT button, think about how they want to be treated, a fair amount of the problems would be eliminated.

Glen, K9STH

5. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, it sure is interesting to see what can happen here.

I posted this question simply to have some fun and I can see some people had some fun responding, but others kept going and going and going...

I've got nothing against anyone (yet) and I hope everyone takes the question in the good humour it was posted.

Other than that, I still use QRZ.com for "technical" issues etc, I've asked about antennas and the like. The talk and opinions forum, at least as I understood it, was for posts like this and others.

I've had my license for a few months now - and I joined the service, the hobby, whatever for the fun of it.

Long live ham (Ham, HAM) radio!!

VA7KBH

6. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Aug. 19 2002,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know that it is semantics.  But, semantics play a definite part in the overall scheme of things.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is why I'm an engineer, not a lawyer. [​IMG]

7. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

KC5NYO - sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep up the good work!

Chris

8. K9STH

For GYQ:

Technically, I am not an electric train driver, but I have been employed as one at times! Am basically an Industrial Engineer with management major (most of my electives were in EE) and have had a &quot;few&quot; law courses.

I don't claim to even try to be an attorney. However, I do know that using the &quot;correct&quot; terms makes a definite difference when dealing with anything governmental or with the legal system. That is why I keep cautioning people not to call amateur radio a &quot;hobby&quot;, but to refer to it as a &quot;service&quot;. I know that 99 percent of the activity is of a hobby nature. But, it is that 1 percent of service that amateurs perform that helps justify our existance.

Glen, K9STH

9. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's in name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> (ops, that was from the dead playwrites society)

Furlongs per fortnight squared; M/S^2; g's -- whatever system is used it does not change the meaning of what is measured...

I remember when PC meant &quot;personal computer&quot; [​IMG]

---
    Politically incorrect, and darn proud of it!

10. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

It (the nickname &quot;ham&quot;) does not deserve a capital distinction so it is ham, unlike the distinctive, Amateur Radio. I offer to Glen and ARRL president, Mr. Haynie, who posted on the topic of service, elsewhere in the forum, and all other supporters of the &quot;service&quot; name tag, my definition of a service.

&quot;A service is something, whose existance is of general benefit to the public, such as an organization, that has certain personal requirements and standards to be met before joining. And it has a &quot;chain of command&quot; structure that, while it may often seem almost transparent, very definitely exists.&quot;

It remains transparent to us, as long as we act within the bounds of the rules set forth. Just as sergeants don't stand over each and every private every hour of the day. But, we are answerable to the official observer system, the frequency coordination system and section management system of our national member sponsored organization, the ARRL. They in turn, like noncom officers to commissioned officers, are responsible to the FCC.

We are allowed to govern ourselves in pretty broad terms within the rules, by a duly member elected official structure in the League, (If you are not a member, don't criticize the job they do for all of us, equally). If a problem is too big for the league to handle within their limited authority, it is taken to a higher power, the FCC, whose officers work under their own chain of command.  
    I commend the FCC and its officers, for the fact that they don't want to administer to us any more than absolutely necessary, and tend to ignore fairly trivial complaints that should be dealt with by ARRL officials, probably on the local OO level. But if you are a real problem on a large scale, the higher command structure, in the person of Riley Hollingsworth and his people, will make you wish you had walked the straight and narrow path.

Overall I think it is a fine service to be in for those who really want to be &quot;hams&quot; at any level. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.