Is it HAM or ham or Ham or.....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I type it amateur, as in amateur radio!

Glen, K9STH

2. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

amateur or ham radio. It's not capitalised as "ham radio" is not a proper noun. But "ham" IS an adjective, not a noun in itself. I see posts here about "ham" and it drives me nuts. (No, I know it shouldn't but it just sounds so . . . .hokey.)

I am new to ham. I like ham. Ham is my new hobby. I am puttinig ham on my new boat. I want my license for ham.

Ham is something you eat - it comes from the pig. This hobby/service of ours is not pork, it's radio. Ham radio.

How's that? Thanks, I had to finally get that off my chest.

Chris

3. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only agree with you guys!

Seeing people post HAM radio on the forums like it was some kind of acronym has been driving me crazy!

VA7KBH

4. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting that on this forum more attention is placed in the grammatical structure of a post than there is in the informational or technical structure of the post. I guess it is the name that is misleading  " QRZ.COM " at first glance one would think it had to do with HAM RADIO ( and yes I am shouting ) I got into Amateur Radio when it was some thing to be proud to be a part of ,when it was a Technical Fraternity of those who had a curiosity for the experimenting and learning of the science of Electronics and Communications. Now I guess as the newer generations have down graded it to a mere hobby it is no longer some thing to shout about ,so as not to have it confused with CB.
    I have been unable of late to ascertain just why new people get into Ham Radio,is it a Sociallly acceptable thing to do,is it an oppurtunity to meet others who are well versed in grammer and spelling, or maybe it is just raining on the golf course ? What ever the present reason is, it apparently has changed over the years.

If my shouting tends to outrage some then so beit, that is one of the priviledges us OF's have earned. I still retain and still enjoy the memories of the day's when it was some thing to be proud to be a part of, to shout about, it looks unfortunately like the new generations will never have that oppurtunity.
    So if you find it so unbearable to see it shouted as HAM RADIO just spare your self the agony and skip over my posting, after all my posting may come to a conclusion before yours does, and you may then Capitalise on any and all parts of the hobby that is left.

Proud to have made it to being an OF......    73,   ORV

5. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ Aug. 18 2002,23[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">..... I have been unable of late to ascertain just why new people get into Ham Radio,is it a Sociallly acceptable thing to do,is it an oppurtunity to meet others who are well versed in grammer and spelling, or maybe it is just raining on the golf course ? What ever the present reason is, it apparently has changed over the years.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Orv, I would guess that the reason new people get into amateur radio today is the same reason it has been since the beginning........ the &quot;magic&quot; of it.  [​IMG]

I'd also bet that there are a lot of hams like me out here ....... nothing much to say, not much of a yakker or ragchewer, not much time to enjoy the service/hobby because of work and other obligations. But to have the satisfaction of knowing that we have set up our own station, however modest, and can hunker down in the 'ole shack and listen to the world..... man, that's a great feeling!

So I'm not an EE, I can't tear down my rig and rebuild it, and my soldering is really bad.  [​IMG]    Just the fact that I installed the antennas, I ran the coax, I soldered on the PL-259's, I laid out the station, and somehow, amidst all this confusion, it actually works FB, well, that's the &quot;reason!&quot;  And on the rare occasion when I actually key up the 'ole rig and can make a contact, that's icing on the cake!

As for the spelling and grammar posts........ I'm not sure what to tell you. I too wince at a lot of them. Is it proper to point out people’s mistakes? I don't know. Once upon a time we were expected to learn how to read and write properly through our education system. But I think the majority of posts I see in these threads seem to say it's &quot;okay&quot; if someone cannot write correctly, or use  proper grammar to get their point across. So I guess things have changed in the 30 years since I attended public schools. We don't want to make anyone feel bad, or single them out, or embarrass them, so it's &quot;okay&quot; if you don't want to learn this or that. As you can see from the replys on a lot of these threads, this attitude just sets them up for a rough time down the road. I do know that you should have a pretty thick skin if you decide to correct someone. Some can get downright vicious!   [​IMG]

So what's the answer? I don't know. I'm just a working stiff, and trying to get our country back on the right track is better left to others that wax more eloquent of speech than I do.

73, Mike
    kc5nyo

6. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's &quot;amateur radio&quot;... Ham is what they claim to make Spam™ from. &quot;Ham radio&quot; would be one owned/operated by Arnold Ziffel.

7. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You should never take it serious, after all now it is only a HOBBY.........73,   ORV

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To ORV:

Amateur radio, by the definition given in CFR 47, Part 97 (Code of Federal Regulations, section 97, Part 97 - Telecommunications), is definitely not a hobby! It is defined as a service. If it were legally a hobby, then there would be no legal basis for its existance and therefore would cease to exist. I realize that the vast majority of people who are licensed think of amateur radio as a hobby. But, that is not correct in the view of the United States Government. Every amateur should realize that their license is the result of this classification as a &quot;service&quot;, not as a hobby, and should act accordingly.

Glen, K9STH

9. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC calls EVERYTHING a &quot;service&quot;, including, horror of horror's, CB.

And, until such time as the goverment allows us to be paid for it, it will remain a &quot;hobby&quot;, by the very defination of the word.

That does not mean we should be flippant and irresponsible however.

10. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

I like Orv's comments. Absolutely correct about what ham radio used to be and is no longer. I'm proud that I passed my tests knowing the stuff, that I could apply it in my operating, and especially that I did it all before VECs. That means something - at least to me.

As for the comments of KB1GYQ, you're wrong. FCC does call everything a service. Each radio service is supposed to serve its users. Or to be of service to those users. In the case of amateur radio, we exist because we traditionally provide a service to the public. We provide communications in time of need, we provide a pool of technically trained and competent operators, as well as built-in training for that pool of technically inclined folks.

Of course that's the ideal. It is obviously no longer the case. Read the questions posted on qrz.com, and you'll find that technical competence is no longer required. Keep in mind, the service we provide is why we exist. Other radio users have to BUY spectrum - we get it in essence for nothing. The payment is in the SERVICE we supposedly provide.

Good luck,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.