ad: Alphaant-1

Is it Clickbait to say that Fred AA7BQ is on HamRadioNow?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let Burt hear 26:43-45 :D
    Beetlejuice!

Otherwise a very interesting video

K1OIK likes this.
  2. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

That guy with the sunglasses on inside is awesome.

W1YW likes this.
  3. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that Michael Mcdonald?

W1YW likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Interviewing is a skill, highly elusive, most video / pod cast folks just don't have it. I don't bother watching / listening to any of this stuff.

It's hard to find, even among professional DJs. For example my favorite FM jazz station is staffed by long time knowledgeable DJs and musicians, and they should know better! But their interviewing is just like that, more about themselves than asking open, leading, questions... And letting the interviewee ramble... Then the interesting stuff comes out.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I look at it as a duplex rag chew.

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

While I have certainly been accused of interrupting too much and loving the sound of my own voice (both true, never going to change), in this case I think Lisa was talking about letting Hamvention spokesman Michael Kalter take the stage for a few minutes before continuing with the conversation with Fred.

Maybe she'll clarify if I'm wrong.

On this show, both Michael and Fred were on tight schedules, so I directed the conversation more than usual.

It's interesting to note that HamRadioNow gets criticized for making long shows (typically well over an hour), but also for not letting the guest speak. Opinions vary, of course, and plenty of viewers tell me that I conduct the best, most professional interviews in ham media.

If I need any defending, I'll point out that this was the eight in a series of nine long programs I produced (literally produced, from setting up all the hardware, appearing on-camera, live switching, riding the audio, ripping the audio, writing show notes, then uploading to YouTube and Libsyn) all in two and a half days. Two of those days in temperatures hovering around 90°. So I was getting a little tired (but at least the A/C was back on for this one).

But then apparently you're taking other ciritic's word about this show, because you "don't bother watching / listening to any of this stuff." And that's why you needed to add your opinion to this thread. Very useful.

You're right about letting an interview subject ramble, waiting out long pauses so they feel they need to add more... maybe something they hadn't thought of, or even better, something they were holding back. That technique works better on recorded/edited programs, and on radio programs, and not so well on live TV. On any single show, you get that golden moment once or twice, while you edit out a lot of filler. When you're live, the host has to 'edit' by interrupting and redirecting. That will never be as elegant.

So, you ask, why do live shows? Why not edit? Because editing takes a freaking long time. It's a lot of work. I don't have an editing staff, and I choose to make more shows live rather than a very few shows tightly edited. Again, nine shows, one weekend. All different topics.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    N5OCO, K6CLS and KD5BVX like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the bottom line is how Mike and Fred felt about this. My understanding is that they are friends, and certainly both enjoyed the three-way rag chew. Just read their body language.

Never seen either of them try to grab the limelight, so to speak.

I looked at this as a basically a rag chew round table, not a broadcast interview.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    KD5BVX likes this.
  8. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Gary
    That is correct. I don't know who the other guy was and I really don't care. I tuned in to se what Fred had to say about QRZ and then he was interrupted.

After fast forwarding to 16:55 I did watch the rest of the interview. And for some feedback, after fast forwarding this is the first video of yours that I was able to watch more than just a few minutes of.

73, Lisa

Wave_and_a_smile.jpg

W1YW likes this.
  9. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct, Gary is all about self and what he thinks makes him look good. Fred came across very well. I literally slept through the other guy.

10. K1OIK

Other than that comment Fred was great.

11. K1OIK

Actually you need to interrupt but on the sound of your own voice, my comment is, you think?

12. K1OIK

This actually was one of his shortest videos. My videos rarely exceed ten minutes. Gary does have excellent technical skills, he can edit but he never actually cut out anything he has said.

13. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred had a great platform and opportunity to say some great things about his site. It is the things that he didn't say that bothers me, but I will keep them to myself. :)

14. K1OIK

Share them

15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary, very thoughtful and eloquent, thanks!

K4AAQ and KD5BVX like this.