ad: vanity

Is GlobalQSL operating?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W1JA, Oct 5, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1JA

W1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect Global QSL is not operating. Here are my reasons.

1. The website is not being maintained. The top menu link for the Forum has not worked for several years. Also, the links in the 'News & Announcements' scrolling list at the right side of the home page don't work. Also, the link to the website developer, 4Z5LX DXportal.com, at the bottom of the website's pages doesn't work.
    2. GlobalQSL has a "Printed and Sent To Me' list, accessible after login from the left side at 'My Incoming QSL.' On my 'Printed & Sent To Me' page, there are 15 QSOs, which means 15 QSL cards that I should receive via my bureau. (Two QSLs in the list are from U.S. stations. I should not expect to receive those, as U.S.-to-U.S. QSLs don't go through the U.S. bureau system.) Of the remaining 13 QSLs, I have received only 4. These 4 were sent, according to the list, in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The remaining 9 that I have not received were all sent in the 2009-2014 period. In this period I have received at least one mailing from my bureau each year. But I have not received any QSL sent via GlobalQSL as long ago as 9 years, and as recently as 4 years. (There are no QSLs in the list more recent than 4 years ago.)
    3. I just this week sent an email to Azar at info@globalqsl.com about this. It was rejected by the receiving email server: "mailbox is full." I waited a few days and tried again with the same result.

I would really like GlobalQSL to be in operation. It's a great idea, especially considering the price increase at the ARRL outgoing QSL service. The flat $7 "service fee" is a big expense for those of us, like me, who send out very few cards at a time. Given my usual very tiny outgoing QSL volume I would pay $1 or more per QSL.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, a lot of the links on the home page have never worked.
    The most recent Printed and Sent for my outgoing cards is 30 August 2018. Previous to that was 28 May 2018. I suspect the card volume has gone WAAAAY down and Azar isn't spending much time with it.
    I've been a user for about 3.5 years and have received only a couple of the "sent to me" ones. At the same time I get plenty of replies saying TNX QSL so at least some have been getting out.
    I hope nothing happens to the service :(
    Careful with that $1 or more stuff! I think 13.5c for printing and sending is probably on the low side, though. At this time in the cycle I only send maybe 30-40/month but a few years ago it was triple that.

EDIT: Just an FYI, the 62 outgoing cards Printed and Sent on 30 August were all to larger countries, specifically DL, UA, G, I, F and SP.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. W1JA

W1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

When I started with GlobalQSL in 2008, they all worked. The website is deteriorating.

That's a couple out of how many in your 'Printed & Sent To Me' list?

I can't recall getting a single TNX QSL reply. However, I only send reply cards to stations who have already sent me bureau QSLs. It's my QSLs that say TNX QSL on them, so I wouldn't expect to get any TNX QSL replies.

I think card volume has gone way up. Because: FT8. Every card in my last received bureau envelope was for an FT8 QSO.

Keep in mind, I haven't received a single QSL in the 'Printed & Sent To Me' list in nine years. Bureaus are slow, but not that slow. And these cards are coming to me, in the U.S. Not a small country, but one that should be getting shipments from GlobalQSL on a regular basis.

Nope, I'm becoming more convinced that GlobalQSL is defunct. Please, somebody, prove that it isn't!

4. KP4SX

I really dunno what to think. I'm about to order another 100 blank cards and we'll see how that works out.
    Without a doubt the service could be operated better than it is. Azar is a printer by trade and when the volume is up maybe he can make ends meet with GlobalQSL since bulk mailing to bureaus can work out for him. In spite of FT8 I can't really say if his volume is up or down but my hunch is that it is down.
    The parallel is the ARRL outgoing bureau who saw fit to increase costs. Are they getting swamped with FT8 cards?

5. W1JA

W1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bill. Let me/us know if you succeed in getting your blank cards from GlobalQSL.

73, John

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a long thread about this on eHam some time ago. No definitive answer, but it looked like things were not working smoothly.

For those looking for alternative ways to 'paper' QSL, check QDURE out:

https://qsl.ure.es/en/

It's a service provided by the URE, the Spanish equivalent to the ARRL.

7. KP4SX

Great, thanks. Looks like a good alternative.

8. W1JA

W1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, VA3VF. I plan to give URE a try soon. I have a small batch of outgoing QSLs that need sending. 73!

9. KP4SX

I signed up as well. There is a minimum charge that covers up to 100 cards so its not as good for a small batch.

10. W1JA

W1JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh. I was thinking that the 11 euro payment for "up to 100 QSLs" would be for QSL credits. I wouldn't need to use them all in one order -- I could pay the fee, then upload ADIFs for a few QSOs at a time, for as long as it took me to use up 100 QSLs. That's the way GlobalQSL worked. Are you sure I'd have to pay for 100, and use that 100 right then?