ad: Amateur-1

Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Rhetorical question - Is it the award collection that creates “loads of fun” or, as I suspect, playing radio and working people (or other computers)?

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both/all.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I find that after the award goes on the wall, it's just that, wallpaper. Actually, most are in their original envelopes still, only the 'majors' are on the wall.;)

The WPX awards give me buyer's remorse everytime I look at them. Why? I used LoTW credits for them.:D

The chase, and the waiting for the LoTW match, are fun.:)

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The GPL under which the software source is licensed gives specific permission to anybody to modify the software for any purpose. If the WSJT-X team wanted to restrict how the software was used and/or modified, releasing it under the GPL was contrary to that goal.

They can say whatever they like, but releasing WSJT-X under the GPL officially and legally releases the source code to be used for anything, and it waives their right to control how the software is used once released, as long as derivative works comply with the GPL.

Whether any specific use is acceptable or not is a separate issue.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The non-rhetorical answer? Both. Most of the fun was working people and keeping track of who I still needed, sure. BUT...I was surprisingly affected by those certificates and was proud to frame them and put them on the shack wall. :)

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely. If and when it becomes 'unbearable' for them, the options are:
    1) Ignore the misuse. Pretend it's not happening. It's not their fault/responsibility anyways;
    2) Abandon the project altogether;
    3) Re-write everything from scratch, and close source it.

If I recall correctly, as far as the FCC is concerned, the protocol needs to be open. How it's implemented, it's up to the developer.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a plaque on the wall too. Every time I happen to look at it, it reminds me of the fun earning it. If I removed it, that fun doesn’t disappear from memory.
    I’m not trying to argue; rather to reinforce the discussion which started it when I agreed with another poster about awards in general but you and another guy seemed to disagree about our shared perspective. Everyone has an opinion.

8. KK5JY

Yes, and the WSJT-X team have written numerous white-papers on their protocols. Dr. JT himself has written several. So the open-source license wasn't necessary just to document the protocol -- it was a deliberate choice to embrace its terms, no matter what is said in the user group forums.

9. KK5JY

There are certainly a lot of poorly-implemented robots on the air.

I ran into one station the other day whom I thought was a badly-implemented robot, but it turned out to be a guy from the southeast US who just likes being a jerk, calling people dozens of times, over and over. When people don't answer him split, he just calls them repeatedly on their calling frequency until they give up and move. If you answer him, he doesn't send a report, he just keeps sending his grid, over and over.

So there are also a few folks who like to act like a bot... the evil kind.

upload_2019-5-22_18-52-2.png

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure why you think I'm "disagreeing" with you, OM, I'm just saying those pieces of paper are important to me. :)