Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, thanks.
    Perhaps there is more to it than I thought!

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The award(s) always seem like a redundant affirmation of what you know you did or simply as a means to keep otherwise uninteresting things interesting but I suspect for most people, awards are meaningless as in having someone you don’t know tell you what you already knew.

KG5UN likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still 'debriefing' myself after my return from Dayton.

I was at the CWOps Dinner as well. The place was jam-packed, and very lively. It was great!

So here is the apparent conundrum: people took time out of their busy lives, money out of their bank accounts, to go to Dayton and celebrate the mode they love. Were they forced to do that? I don't think so.

Based on what I read on the Zed, the CW sub-bands are empty, a wasteland. How is that possible? Using and enjoying the mode one loves is free, no travel required, but they are not doing it. What's going on here?

'Me thinks' that people are enjoying FT8 very much, but won't admit it. Blame an 'isotropic' ham for the fallout, and keep up with the charade.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

In one of the CTU 'classes', there was a slide showing the number of logs received after, I think, the ARRL RU, not sure.

There were around 1000 FT8 logs. For the other mode/s, a decrease of 200 logs, for a net gain of 800 logs. At least 800 hams that did not participate in the contest before.

How is the hobby dying? And the 'killing' being done by FT8? I don't want to sound morbid, but based on the average age of the ham population, the decrease could be explained by mother nature.

In another news, the ham population in Canada is increasing 2.5% per year for a few years now. It's actually higher than that, since the database is surely full of SKs. There is no license renewal here, and families won't necessarily know what to do after the passing of their loved one.

What I learned after this trip to Dayton is that spending too much time online disconnects one from the real world. The Hamvention is the real world, not the Zed.

People need to go out more.:D

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    KA0HCP likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you didn't collect baseball cards or stamps as a kid :)

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

We traded them. We even bragged about specific ones when we were 7.

7. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Kind of like the certificates and medals they gave us in the Army. Some of us said thanks and just filed them away, others hung all of them up on their "I Love Myself" wall.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no doubt about that. I still get a thrill out of finding the occasional paper card in my mailbox. BUT...while that's true, it was always secondary to the QSO, the communication, I'd made with a DX station. Whether I logged it in a Big Chief Pad or in a nice ARRL paper log was irrelevant. Same with cards, while they were fun in a stamp-collecting sort of way that wasn't and isn't what I really cared about. ;)

9. W4NNF

Yep...but don't write off SSB and CW on any band. When propagation improves and people begin to get (even more) bored with the report/gridsquare exchanges I suspect you'll see the old modes back. :)

KP4SX likes this.
  10. W4NNF

I thought DXCC (and the other awards) was something I'd never be interested in. Just didn't grab me and I thought it never would. Then I took early retirement and with a lot of time on my hands I started looking for something new to do in ham radio. I've now got DXCC and a couple of WAS certificates on the shack wall now and am having loads of fun. So never say never. :)

KG5UN likes this.