ad: elecraft

Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a 160 meter operator for 30 years. It used to be very crowded with many CW and SSB QSO's.

But now one rarely hears a CW QSO and the few SSB guys are operating above 1900 kHz. The only mode that I see used almost 24/7 is FT8.

FT8 is okay with me but I like JT65A and JT9 more. But it's hard to find a JT65A and JT9 QSO now because of FT8.

But I'm not whining about it. Things change and you have to roll with the punches.

2. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

ft8 may yet cause the demise of amateur radio, what if the licencing authorities see only a 2.5Khz sub band being used on each amateur band and decide they can restrict us to those sub bands and sell off the rest?? :confused: Ho Humm.

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are assuming a dichotomy exists where, if FT8 were not available to those operators, they would necessarily be operating CW or Phone, however, they could also just be operating the mode "not at all." You have to consider that you do not know and cannot say which of these three options would be chosen by those operators if they did not have FT8 to use.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Are all active hams now compressed in 3kHz segments per band? I don't know. I'm sure some CW and SSB operators have left the hobby, at least temporarily, in disgust. Others, yours truly included, became more active since JT65 was introduced.

5. VA3VF

I fear that as well, but I'm not sure we can, or should, blame new technologies for it. If it comes to that, let's all switch to broadcast quality HiFi FM stereo.:D

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the expression goes something like, "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

7. VA3VF

Indeed, and if it's true that they all migrated to FT8, what can one do or say? Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

How come the same thing did not happen when other recent modes were introduced? What's preventing people from using CW or SSB now? I know, back to square 1....well, nobody is forced to use FT8, why do it them? If CW and/or SSB 'have the numbers' they should prevail, should they not? 'Network' effect. I see it again, it's all the fault of FT8. But who is using FT8? The lazy hams...so CW and SSB hams are lazy as well? No, those left the hobby.

Sounds like crazy talk, doesn't it? And unfortunately it is, but only online. The folks I met in Dayton were not having heart attacks over this. They are enjoying the hobby any way they can. In one of the gathering at the Crowne Plaza, the question about FT8 operation was asked. While I cannot give you an exact vote count, it looked to me like over 90% use it, and no grumblings.

KJ4VTH and WU8Y like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it when a mode can cut my grass and I can stay inside and yakk on the radio :)

N0TZU, VK4HAT and KK5JY like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve seen a lot of people here express an intent to learn Morse code. I hope you are among the few who follow through.

As to you other comments, it isn’t onerous to elicit interest in an interesting hobby. The problem we have is that most folks don’t find it interesting and computer to computer exchanges more limited in content than cell phone texting (I.e., canned responses such as in FT8) won’t change that.

It’s not a ‘my way is the only way’ criticism. It’s a substantive concern of dumbing down the hobby.

10. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.
    I have never been interested so I have never looked into it. I admit to really knowing nothing about award chasing.