Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

And you would be wrong. How is LoTW, or eQSL, or Teh Zed's logbook in any way "automated"?

And the usual OF bullshit about "participation trophies," too. Get off my lawn!

W4NNF likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting analogy... i need to think on that one...

so the QSO is the base component of the award - using RF, you completed a QSO (exchange of info). The next piece is agreement that it happened (QSL) - BI (before internet) the only way to do it was a paper card. NOW, databases and the internet allow it to happen quicker and cheaper. A QSO is the basic unit of ham radio, the QSL is not. Automating the QSL does not take away from the fact that two operators at a control point exchanged data via RF

KI5AIU and WS4JM like this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pursuing all of the possible DXCC/WAS/WAZ type awards can easily be a lifetime project. The benefits of pursuing of these and other awards by band, mode, propagation mode, etc. are that it greatly enhances ones knowledge of LF, HF, VHF, UHF propagation characteristics; improves operator skill level in multiple modes of operation; provides great incentive to improve one's station and to correctly and efficiently use higher levels of technology.

Need examples? Try WAS via meteor scatter on 6 meters; 5 Band DXCC, and then add 30, 12, 17 and 160 meters; EME DXCC. If one has the interest goes through the time, effort and expense to set personal goals of achievement, other than personal satisfaction, getting the wall paper or plaque to show for your effort is all there is.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

In this 'day and age' I would say: A contact is the basic unit of ham radio.

As for automated confirmations, again, there is a constituency out there that likes to manually handle these tasks. Handwriting on a paper QSL card is an important part of the hobby for them. Nothing wrong with that. I lost interest in it years ago, long live LoTW.

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you serious? Nah, you can't be serious. Pushing a button and waiting for a response is pretty much automated. You check a website every hour to see if a computer can automatically match the log (that automatically had the date/time/freq/addess/etc filled in for you ) to another ops log, likely also created automatically, that he uploaded. OR, if your both very cleaver....and I can tell you must be....you don't even have to upload your log, it happens in real-time when you hit the "LOG" button. The program automatically creates a log entry, automatically uploads the contact. Then, later you push a button that said "Download" and see how many contacts were confirmed. Is that right? That's not an automated process to you?

I guess the truth hurts. Unless you've actually received an award using paper, you're in no position to compare the two.

Whatever OF stands for....I guess you're calling me old. But from all that "old person" experience, I've learned that the person who resorts to abusive language and personal insults hasn't put a who;le lot of though into their response.

Nope, I just call 'em as I see 'em.

6. WF4W

when i got into radio i was 13 and simply couldnt afford the expense of paper QSLs - especially postage. When I came back to radio a couple yrs ago I didnt get cards printed - I just printed my own to respond to the stray QSL i received. Then I got a call from the DX buro - I had a couple hundred cards waiting for envelopes. So I finally had some cards printed and in the process of responding to the 200+ cards I received. If someone took the time to send them to me, I must reciprocate.

7. N2SUB

I'm not saying it shouldn't count. I said FOR ME, it has cheapened the award. Maybe not for you....that's why it's an opinion, and we can agree to disagree. I know how excited I was when I finally got 100 cards and got my DXCC. It wasn't the same for any other award that was earned using an online logbook. I'm not saying the newer awards aren't an accomplishment, they are. TO ME, it doesn't feel the same. It feels a little hollow.

But again, that's just my opinion. Your results may vary.

8. WF4W

i understand. There is something fun about getting cards from the buro although I really dislike having to get paper cards validated for awards. I generally just put them in an envelope and wait to work the same DXCC with a station that uses LotW :)

N2SUB likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not check your QRZ page, but mine says LoTW only. I'm being upfront about it. Please save your buro allowance and/or postage.

It's a hobby after all, and it needs to be fun to the person 'doing it'. When there are common interests, great, otherwise, c'est la vie.

And who said confirmations must be easy to obtain?:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    N2SUB likes this.
  10. N2SUB

To each his own. Confirmations via USPS -> DXPS -> USPS was always a chore and a risk. It took several weeks after a contest to get all of the cards filled out, addressed and in the mail. But, running to the mailbox and getting a card or 2 was always exciting.